nw
After recently switching to using PB to publish my music related website, one issue that I have come across is the ease (or lack of) of making links.

Say for example I post a news item about a band. I would like to easily link to some of the other thoughts I have that also mention that band - link to an album review, official website etc

If, for example, PB was generating a suggested link report in the background whilst I was creating/editing the though, based on the thought name (maybe even note content), then when I went to that 'suggested link' report, & if I had added the thought I was working on as a selection, then I could use the report to check out the likely related thought and use the link options in the right click menu for the selected thought to easily make the appropriate link.

Maybe somebody has already suggested something like this?
zenrain
Wow, that's a great idea!

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
dyslucksia
Great idea, but how do you propose PB searches for these links? It needs something to go on, either some naturally occurring words, or some keywords you created yourself, in the data associated with these other thoughts.

After all, we already have Advanced Search > Add Search Results to Selection, which you could then attach to the Thought you are creating, or assign a specific tag or type. You could also generate an outline for export using this method.

But you may have to put in the effort to generate your own keywords so that PB can help you achieve this.

It would be great if Instant Search results could be added to Selection too, but no sign of this happening yet.
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
zenrain
I'm not sure of NW's ideas on the way to do this, but my immediate thought it that it's a report based on the advanced search functionality.

Essentially, choosing the "related" report from the dropdown  would take the text of the active thought name and note text and do an advanced search, displaying the results by relevance in the reports tab. For this report they could change the functionality of the bar that displays by the thought returns that show the number of activations to show relevance instead.

At least, that would be my interpretation.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
nw
zenrain's interpretation is pretty close in that I imagined a report with a relevance bar beside the thought list. From the point of view of something that could most easily be added to the existing software, making use of advanced search functionality would be the easiest way to hook it in.

However, when I initially thought of the feature I had in my mind that it would use the keyboard monitor from 'ESP sync' to compile the report while I was typing in the thought text. However, when you start to think things through a report based upon a search for the words in the thought name text covers more useage scenarios.
dyslucksia
Quote:
I imagined a report with a relevance bar beside the thought list.

Hmm. Maybe you should put in a UserVoice suggestion that when it's time for them to upgrade the Selection Box, they might enable sorting not only by order added (currently), but alphabetical (greatly needed) and by relevance, when added to Selection from Advanced search?
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software