lunatrix

Hello and thanks for Brain 9.

I was a big user of the Brain through versions 4, 5 and 6 but eventually gave up on it as I kept coming up against deal-breaker limitations of usability.

I’m excited to see the Brain 9 announcements and have invested in Brain 8 so as to be able to look at recent developments in more detail.

The ease of use is definitely vastly improved which I appreciate a lot. Even in 8 but especially in 9.

However it has reminded me of one of the key limitations I felt before: while it is easy, and delightful, to add thoughts and manipulate their relationships, it is far harder to keep control of TYPES and their relationships.

Once I get past a certain number of thoughts I really want to be able to organise my TYPES structure separately from the structure of my thoughts themselves.

I know we can add super types, and search for and select a type to see its hierarchy - but to get to that we have to add types and super types individually – and once we see the hierarchy, we can't modify it or add to it directly in the plex. (We can see the thoughts attached to each type, which is good, and add/remove thoughts from types as well as setting properties for types, all also good. But to make changes to the relationships among types themselves, we have to go back and forth to the info pane.)

I wonder if Brain 9 might be an opportunity to consider a change that for me anyway would be a huge improvement – and in fact seems right in line with the current philosophy that types are really just thoughts.

Could we have a view that is JUST types, so that adding, deleting and linking types could be done directly in the plex (along with setting colours, notes etc)?

AND THEN – back in the main brain - could we actually link thoughts to types? This latter would seem to be a powerful way of creating ‘smart’ thoughts. So for example the COMPANY thought could link to a CLIENTS type and a CUSTOMERS type, which would automatically populate with children that have the CLIENTS and CUSTOMERS types, updating as the types of individual thoughts were modified. We can almost already do this but (as far as I can see) only by creating pins for types - which rapidly makes the pins area overcrowded.

OK I will stop there to see if this makes any sense to anyone before going on to follow up suggestions.

Maybe these are things we can already do that I have missed while I have been away – or are already in the pipeline but searching this forum has not revealed questions along these lines - though this one would appear to arise from a frustration similar to mine?

Hope this is useful. And thanks again for Brain 9. I don't suppose there’s any point asking if we have an approx release date? It would be nice to be able to start using it ‘for real’!

mcaton
Helen,

Thanks for posting and thank you for your ongoing interest in TheBrain.

I believe you have 2 unique feature requests here:

1. Type view - to easily see all thought types and sub types in your Brain.  Any new thought added while in Type View will become a new Thought Type, etc.

2. Knowledge Model - We've developed this feature in the past for other products. In short, setting up a knowledge model would define what types of thoughts are 'allowed' to be connected and/or defines that some thoughts (of a certain type) will automatically have sub types associated with it.

Both are valid feature requests that I'll be certain to document.  Both, however, would be a large undertaking and I doubt would fit into the first release of V9, but can certainly be considered for the future.

No release date is available yet, but we're making great progress.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
First, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear that you can see the progress in ease-of-use from 8 to 9. [smile]

It is actually possible to change the relationship between types via the plex. Drawing links between types changes their relationship with each other (so you can change the hierarchy in effect by re-linking the types). (I understand that you would like to be able have a setting to show only the types and not the instances. This is what Matt is referring to as the "Knowledge Model", which is actually quite a bit more involved than what I think you are asking for.)

The second thing I hear you asking for is the ability to have a thought type appear in your normal brain. This is something we call "Visible Thought Types" and it is already a pending feature request, (issue #1144 Matt).

Regards,
-Harlan
korm
Just to mention it -- a Tag-only view similar to a Type-only view might be useful for some users, unless it is prohibitively complex.  Personally, I'm indifferent to either.
advisors
lunatrix wrote:

Hello and thanks for Brain 9.

I was a big user of the Brain through versions 4, 5 and 6 but eventually gave up on it as I kept coming up against deal-breaker limitations of usability.

I’m excited to see the Brain 9 announcements and have invested in Brain 8 so as to be able to look at recent developments in more detail.

The ease of use is definitely vastly improved which I appreciate a lot. Even in 8 but especially in 9.

However it has reminded me of one of the key limitations I felt before: while it is easy, and delightful, to add thoughts and manipulate their relationships, it is far harder to keep control of TYPES and their relationships.

Once I get past a certain number of thoughts I really want to be able to organise my TYPES structure separately from the structure of my thoughts themselves.

I know we can add super types, and search for and select a type to see its hierarchy - but to get to that we have to add types and super types individually – and once we see the hierarchy, we can't modify it or add to it directly in the plex. (We can see the thoughts attached to each type, which is good, and add/remove thoughts from types as well as setting properties for types, all also good. But to make changes to the relationships among types themselves, we have to go back and forth to the info pane.)

I wonder if Brain 9 might be an opportunity to consider a change that for me anyway would be a huge improvement – and in fact seems right in line with the current philosophy that types are really just thoughts.

Could we have a view that is JUST types, so that adding, deleting and linking types could be done directly in the plex (along with setting colours, notes etc)?

AND THEN – back in the main brain - could we actually link thoughts to types? This latter would seem to be a powerful way of creating ‘smart’ thoughts. So for example the COMPANY thought could link to a CLIENTS type and a CUSTOMERS type, which would automatically populate with children that have the CLIENTS and CUSTOMERS types, updating as the types of individual thoughts were modified. We can almost already do this but (as far as I can see) only by creating pins for types - which rapidly makes the pins area overcrowded.

OK I will stop there to see if this makes any sense to anyone before going on to follow up suggestions.

Maybe these are things we can already do that I have missed while I have been away – or are already in the pipeline but searching this forum has not revealed questions along these lines - though this one would appear to arise from a frustration similar to mine?

Hope this is useful. And thanks again for Brain 9. I don't suppose there’s any point asking if we have an approx release date? It would be nice to be able to start using it ‘for real’!

Harlan wrote:
First, thanks for the feedback. It's nice to hear that you can see the progress in ease-of-use from 8 to 9. [smile]

It is actually possible to change the relationship between types via the plex. Drawing links between types changes their relationship with each other (so you can change the hierarchy in effect by re-linking the types). (I understand that you would like to be able have a setting to show only the types and not the instances. This is what Matt is referring to as the "Knowledge Model", which is actually quite a bit more involved than what I think you are asking for.)

The second thing I hear you asking for is the ability to have a thought type appear in your normal brain. This is something we call "Visible Thought Types" and it is already a pending feature request, (issue #1144 Matt).

korm wrote:
Just to mention it -- a Tag-only view similar to a Type-only view might be useful for some users, unless it is prohibitively complex.  Personally, I'm indifferent to either.

+1

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software