aidiamaso
A predefined thought type called a Summary thought that automatically aggregates either:

the children's thought names as a hierarchy in the notes field,
the notes from all children thougths,
the combination of the children thought names as a header and then the children notes as paragraphs beneath each header.

So, for example, if I have a thought structure like...

Object
--Properties
----Color
----Type
----Size
--Methods
----setColor
----getColor
----setType
----getType
----setSize
----getSize

In the summary note, I get a tree that looks like what is above, or I get a summary of the contents of the child notes fields.

Shirt
--
----Red
----Polo
----XL
--

Or I get

Object

..Shirt

--Properties

----Color

..Red

----Type

..Polo

----Size

..XL

--Methods

----setColor

----getColor

----setType

----getType

----setSize

----getSize

A contrived example... but hopefully enough to get the concept across.

This allows you to essentially see a mini-report on a cluster of thoughts by glancing at the parent thought alone.
mbaas
Great idea, I've been thinking about that, too, recently.

And while my main concern was 'only' about aggregating the child-notes, I had the additional requirement of being able to also include links to the corresponding children. (The child-names would be simply numbers and I wanted to have these displayed before the note of the child.)

I guess we'd need some format of describing the rules for such an aggregation, so that the thing would cater for all these diverse ideas (Oh yes, and in my case we'd also need an ability to link to thoughts, as it has been requested before)

Go, Harlan, go

zenrain
Why wouldn't you just select the thoughts, either by ctrl clicking the gate, or using the brain crawl function, choose Edit > Copy as Text, and then paste it in the parent notes?

Yes, it's not automatic, but I'm not seeing why all that coding would need to be done when it can be done in just a few steps
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
mbaas
Maybe because titles and content of the children could change and we want an always accurate summary
And maybe because it would just mean multiplied content - which is probably not such a big concern in the days of larger HDs, but still it can add up. The scenario I am thinking about would mean heavy use of that feature and massive duplication.
And of course is an 'aesthetic' issue. And it's geeky

zenrain
Quote:
And it's geeky

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
aidiamaso

zenrain wrote:
Why wouldn't you just select the thoughts, either by ctrl clicking the gate, or using the brain crawl function, choose Edit > Copy as Text, and then paste it in the parent notes?

Yes, it's not automatic, but I'm not seeing why all that coding would need to be done when it can be done in just a few steps

Copy as text didn't exist until a short while ago, and, to your point, 'all that coding' is actually partially done with just that feature.

All that's left is to give a thought the ability to know the context of text it is copying (children only, notes and thought name, thought name, notes) and to associate it's trigger with either a sitebrain publish or the note for a summary thought being activated :-)

I am primarily interested in the feature because of a sitebrain... I'd like to have a sitebrain of "summary thoughts" while the information that makes up the details of the summary thoughts (the actual knowledge behind the summary) changes.
SKoehn

zenrain wrote:

Has anyone tried this?  I did this in order to create a hierarchical summary of a tree of thoughts and then paste it into the notes of the top thought of the tree.

Unfortunately the indentations(tab characters) at the beginnings of each line, which indicate the level of the hierarchy, were lost in the pasting of the thoughts list into notes.

Evidently, the notes editor for some reason rejects leading tabs or spaces when pasting from the clipboard.

In order to make this work, I had to first paste into MS-Word, then do a search and replace of Tabs with an appropriate number of periods (or dashes) then copy and paste into notes.

zenrain
Wow, I just tried that , guess that's what I get for assuming...

It's because it pastes it as html, so it completely ignores the tabs in the rendering of the page.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software