deutschblitz
Feature request: You already have the ability to swap node title with label, but I need this feature to work like REPLACE ALL...I want ALL my nodes to be swapped, not just one. Why? I am bilingual and I NEED!!! to be able to present my brain in either GERMAN or ENGLISH...not just one language...way to restricted.
rengel
I suppose, you want to swap English titles for German titles and vice versa.
Normally, the labels contain secondary information like type information, subtitles, etc. pertaining to a thought. And sometimes they are just blank. If you would have the functionally to swap node titles and node labels all at once, you would need to duplicate a lot of information, because there are many thoughts, i.e. usernames ('deutschblitz'), proper names of persons ('Bill Haley'), and organizations ('NATO', 'UNO'), where a translation doesn't make sense. For all these you would need to duplicate titles and labels.

Looking at your 'Liederschatz' website I can imagine, why you would want such a feature. But then, what about three or four or ... languages? I have a hard time to figure out a use case where I would want to have a 1:1 translation of all the thoughts in a brain.
Reinhard, TB 10.0.48.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
deutschblitz
Yes, each node will require both TITLE and LABEL, and sometimes they are going to be the same, that is perfectly in order. Regarding the use case, it's simply the ability to share the brain with different audiences. If I present my brain in German to an English audience or vice versa, they will be lost. So this would be HUGE to say the least.
rengel
I understand your concerns, but I doubt if such a special request will ever be implemented. IMHO, your best bet is to maintain two brains. Alternatively, you could work in one brain with public and privat thoughts (one for German, one for English) and switch their visibility on demand, depending on your audience. Or you could use one brain with two separate thought hierarchies, one German, one English.
In my experience, you'll never will have identical thoughts, children, attachments etc, with German and English thoughts, even if it is the same topic.

rengel
I understand your concerns, but I doubt if such a request ever will (or should) be implemented. IMHO, your best bet is to work with two brains. Alternatively, you could use one brain with private and public thoughts (one for German, one for English) and switch their visibility depending on your audience. Or you could use a brain with two hierachies and tags (German and English) and jump-link corresponding thoughts.
In my experience, in regard to your sources (attachments) you'll never get a 1:1 correspondence between German and English thoughts (just look at your 'Liederschatz').

deutschblitz
In some cases like my website, content is not necessarily available in both languages. However, I could make it available if I took the time to translate every document and every video I ever shared. But that's missing the point. If I deliberately set out to create information in one language, I would of course also be able to replicate the very same information in another language. I work as a patent translator and translate documents every day and they better be 1:1. Every movie ever made, every book ever written can be, and many have been, translated in a 1:1 representation (which may not be literal but definitely conveys the meaning). Right now I am making a list of herbal remedies and their health benefits. Well, each herb in English has a German correspondence, an exact match...same with the the health benefits Heart-Herz, Cholesterol-Cholesterin, Brain-Gehirn etc.

As you know most Americans don't speak German and vice versa. So to be able to switch the brain to another language at the click of a button would be absolutely invaluable not just to me, that is a guarantee. So many hispanics out there for instance who would like Spanish and English...and millions more. It's crucial since a brain may be utterly useless and ineffective to someone who doesn't speak that language. And yes, you should be able to add more languages than just 2 if you want but that can be a pro feature.
rengel
I see your point, and I would follow you as long as you are working within a well defined discipline with an established 'controlled vocabulary' (i.e. medicine or law). But as soon as you have to deal with ordinary language you have several synonyms, often with different connotations on both sides of a translation. But of course, you know this. Still, within the use cases you describe, I understand your request. But based on my long experience on this website I would say: 'It won't happen, at least not in any forseeable future.'

rengel
Addendum:
Nowadays, brains with hundreds of thousands thoughts are not uncommon. Just imagine, what it would mean to switch the titles and labels of all these thoughts at once. You would have to update each and every thought record, throw away the old instant activation index, and then rebuild this index based on the words of the then former labels. This would take hours every time you decide to make the switch. There's an old saying:
If you want to hurt your data, move it...

I would try to mark German and Englisch thoughts by different tags, then select the thoughts NOT to be used in a presentation by tag, make them private ('Set selection privacy'), and hide them via 'Options|Hide Private Thoughts'. Then only the thoughts in the desired language are shown.

Of course during the maintenance of your brain, this means that you have to enter two (or more, if you you want to support more languages) thoughts for each term, phrase, sentence, whatever - a German and an English one. But then, you have to enter the text anyway. Link them by a jump, and you have your 1:1 translation side-by-side. This has an additional advantage: both the German and English versions are always visible without hovering on a thought. Colorizing the thoughts  by language (using types) and/or using flag icons for the tags would this make even clearer. Then you could even distiguish between a British 'lift' and an American 'elevator'.

The index gives you a bidirectional dictionary for free.

Using this technique, thoughts that are language-agnostic (like Names, 'Albert Einstein'), don't need to entered twice, marked or hidden. You simply use them as-is in both the German and the English presentation.

That's what I would try...

deutschblitz
Thank you for the explanation of why a MASS SWAP of Title and Label would not be feasible and for providing suggestions. This feature seems to be harder to implement than one might think which may be why I have found not a single software out there yet that offers this option except for good old spreadsheets of course.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software