joshsullivan
I would love to use internal attachments for one Brain that would be built from a DEVONthink database. Unfortunately, 30GB isn't large enough for this brain and my others. So I'm wondering if there is a way to sync a brain outside of TheBrain sync offered?

If not, what would be the best method for keeping a large brain in relative sync between 3 computers?

Thanks,
Josh

P.S. for TheBrain team, I would love an option for at least 500GB (preferably 1TB) of space. I think spending $159-$180 a year on software deserves at least 500GB of cloud space in this day in age.
TheBrain 10.0.45.0
macOS 10.14.4
Windows 10 1803
metta
FWIW, here is some older information from Harlan explaining the technical reasons other (non-web client) syncing services cannot be used with TheBrain. A more recent post from Harlan explains why Dropbox cannot be used for syncing.

In light of these (and many other) discussions about syncing alternatives, I think the web client is the only viable syncing option we have.

As for having more storage capacity for our brains, 1TB storage was documented as a feature request back in October 2016.

I have no idea where things stand with this request, but I would also very much like to see this option provided (within the current price range) since 30G really is not sufficient for using TB as a file management solution.
Cerebrum
Edited: You did mention "internal attachments".
I'll leave my post just in case someone else finds it useful.

There is an option that could work if you don't already have thousands of internal attachments in your Brain.
Also, I don't know how to map a local folder on a Mac. Perhaps an alias?

In Windows, you can use SUBST to map a folder to a virtual drive and then sync the folder using a cloud service.
You then can access external attachments in that virtual drive using TB on any computer that uses the cloud service to sync an identical mapped path. 
There's no issue with data corruption because we're not talking about the TB database, only the external files, which are not synced by TB.

If you have a few existing internal attachments, you can just click on the attachment and "Move File out of Brain" and specify a location within the virtual drive.
But I don't know of any easy way to move thousands of internal attachments out of TB.

One more thing: I wonder about how long it would take to sync a few hundred GB of files in TB, and I'm not talking just about the initial upload.
metta
Cerebrum wrote:
I wonder about how long it would take to sync a few hundred GB of files in TB, and I'm not talking just about the initial upload.

Good question, Cerebrum. Of course, the larger the brain and the more internal attachments there are (you're right), the longer the sync will take.

However, since the maximum storage capacity for a brain account includes ALL of our synced brains, it would still be helpful to have more storage capacity, even if it was not all used for one ginormous megabrain. Ã°Å¸Ëœâ€°
joshsullivan
metta wrote:
I have no idea where things stand with this request, but I would also very much like to see this option provided (within the current price range) since 30G really is not sufficient for using TB as a file management solution.

That video irked me mainly because maybe 30GB was a substantial amount for file management when sync came out for TheBrain (I have no idea when TheBrain started syncing, I started last August) but in today's day and age that isn't a lot of space. And it is unable to accommodate a file management solution.

@metta Thank you for those links, I figured it would need to be zipped then synced, which is unfortunate but I guess the way it must be. Hopefully, TheBrain team decides to increase space.

Cerebrum wrote:
One more thing: I wonder about how long it would take to sync a few hundred GB of files in TB, and I'm not talking just about the initial upload.

I don't mind huge initial syncs, probably an overnight of sync time. I don't re-image my laptop or desktops often, my iPad I purchase a new one every year, or whenever a new iPad Pro comes out, and my iPhone I also get a new one every year. I use DEVONthink on my Mac and iOS devices, and I have a couple of databases that are around 33 and 40 GB respectively. I usually open up the apps, start the download and walk away when I check back in a few hours if they aren't done I let them sit and finish. I usually wait until the end of set up and run it overnight. I would assume I could do the same with TheBrain, and since every other sync is incremental, it should take the usual amount of time as it does now.

Thank you @cerebrum for your suggestion, I do use Dropbox currently and all of my external attachments live in a folder to sync to other devices. If I was on Windows completely I would probably use a virtual drive, but it's easier to use Dropbox for cross-platform.
TheBrain 10.0.45.0
macOS 10.14.4
Windows 10 1803
Cerebrum
I realize now that, after the initial upload, syncing shouldn’t take very long. 

But I’m confused by this:
If I was on Windows completely I would probably use a virtual drive, but it's easier to use Dropbox for cross-platform.
I suggested using a virtual drive with a cloud service, not instead of. Your comment implies that it’s one or the other.

There’s still an issue if an identical virtual drive cannot be created on both platforms. 
joshsullivan
Cerebrum wrote:
I suggested using a virtual drive with a cloud service, not instead of. Your comment implies that it’s one or the other.

There’s still an issue if an identical virtual drive cannot be created on both platforms. 

I guess I’m missing the reason as to why you need the virtual drive if you are syncing external files via Dropbox? 

For example on Windows my path to my Dropbox is C:\Users\USERNAME\Dropbox\ my username is the same on both my Windows Desktop and Laptop, so when I use external attachments they are the same path on all my Windows devices. As far as I am aware there isn’t an issue with syncing external files via cloud sync only TheBrain databases.

If the path isn’t different and there isn’t an issue with external files syncing via cloud service what would be the advantage of using a virtual drive?

If for example macOS mounted drives like Windows Z:\ then I could see a definite advantage because paths would be the same.
TheBrain 10.0.45.0
macOS 10.14.4
Windows 10 1803
Cerebrum
If the path isn’t different and there isn’t an issue with external files syncing via cloud service what would be the advantage of using a virtual drive?
No advantage. If there's no problem then there's no problem to solve. ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒÃ‚°Ã…¸Ëœ
I suggested using a virtual drive if the paths are not the same on the three computers. If the Dropbox path on your Mac is the same as it is on your two Windows computers then you can access your files as external attachments in TheBrain on all your computers without using a virtual drive.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software