Templay
I have a lot a trouble as soon as I attach a weblink to a thought.

This is systematic for Evernote links.

I have made a short screencam to demonstrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcl1cukx5f3tp3y/PB9-245-Evernote-crash.mov?dl=0

Am I the only one having those issues ??

PB 9.0.245.0
MacOS 10.13.3
Yannick
Harlan
Hello Yannick,

Unfortunately some web pages can crash the embedded browser and it seems that is the case for your Evernote pages. Go to Preferences > UI > Content and uncheck "Embedded browser for web links" to prevent this.

We are hoping to overcome this with a newer embedded browser, but such a change is likely quite a long ways off yet.
Regards,
-Harlan
Templay
Hello Harlan,
Thanks for the workaround !

It's a shame because with the external browser, I lose the preview but I least it does not crash.

What about the thought name, which is replace by "Welcome back" each time ?
Yannick
Harlan
Since the Evernote page not displayed until you login, the title of the page is "Welcome back" and the real title of the is unavailable to TheBrain.
Regards,
-Harlan
Templay
Hello Harlan,

Uhm, I made further tests. Using "external browser" is really taking away most benefits on PB / Evernote integration in my opinion. You don't "see" your Evernote notes into PB, but just a list of meaningless links, so you can't guess what information is there without opening every links one by one. Really not much usable with a lot of notes.

The ability to preview documents and web page is central to efficiently manage any documents in practice.

Also if I set "external browser", it means that ALL web links do not have previews, even those simple web pages which would not make PB to crash.

Quote:
We are hoping to overcome this with a newer embedded browser, but such a change is likely quite a long ways off yet.

I understand that "external browser" could be a short therm workaround, but I am worried that you seems unable to fix the bug until "a long way off" ! This probably mean that the technology you use for the new PB coding (C# etc...) force you to use some components that are flowed and that you can't fix because there are blackboxes... ?
Yannick
Harlan
We have lots of things we are working on. The embedded browser works for the vast majority of content. It is unfortunate that the Evernote pages are causing it to crash. On macOS, the embedded browser is courtesy of the operating system. We have a plan to improve this. I can't tell you when that will happen as it is never possible to predict and it is a non-trivial task.
Regards,
-Harlan
Templay
Yes, I understand about the "lot of work" :-) PB9 is definitely a great move forward, don't take me wrong. 

I guess this macOS embedded browser is some sort of "Safari" no ?

It is surprising that Safari crashes with some web sites. I got the crash not only with Evernote, but with some other unrelated web site, pretty "standard" ones. I got a crash with an embedded page from LifeHacker for instance. Ok, it "talks" about Evernote, but it has nothing to do with Evernote web site as such.
Yannick
Harlan
Thanks. Yes, it is a version of the same rendering engine used in Safari. Unfortunately there are a variety of sites that have problems although most are fine.
Regards,
-Harlan
CaptainJustice
Templay wrote:
I have a lot a trouble as soon as I attach a weblink to a thought.

This is systematic for Evernote links.

I have made a short screencam to demonstrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tcl1cukx5f3tp3y/PB9-245-Evernote-crash.mov?dl=0

Am I the only one having those issues ??

PB 9.0.245.0
MacOS 10.13.3

In .242 I do not have that problem. I can view the page in the embedded browser and the name is correct from EN, as long as I am logged into EN. Not crashing.

Windows 10 pro 64bit, Surface Pro 4, 8mb ram, and Intel i5.
-- The Cap'n
Surface Pro 6, Windows 10
Dell XPS 15 laptop, Windows 10
Homemade desktop for Ham Shack, Windows 10
SamsungS10+
Working (still) at https://judgegiljones.com and
Playing at https://captainjustice.net
Templay
CaptainJustice wrote:

In .242 I do not have that problem. I can view the page in the embedded browser and the name is correct from EN, as long as I am logged into EN. Not crashing.

Windows 10 pro 64bit, Surface Pro 4, 8mb ram, and Intel i5.

Yes, I also think that the bug is in the PB code somewhere. I don't believe that a Safari native macOS component would crash so easily...
Yannick
Harlan
It is not a problem on Windows because it uses a different browser. We are certain that it is a problem with the macOS browser component that we are forced to use currently.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software