metta
Table Issues in the New TB11 Note Editor
  • Have not found a way to change the background color of the header row. I've also found no way to delete the header row entirely
  • Have not found a way to center the text within the column headers. (see image below) Instead, the entire table is centered when I use the "Center" option.
  • Have not found a way to manually adjust the column widths. It seems the column widths default to the width of the text in the columns.
    • I end up with columns of dramatically different widths
    • The text within the columns also does not always wrap properly (see Column 3 header in the image below)
  • Have not found a way to insert a second line of text within a cell. Enter or shift enter creates a new cell instead of allowing me to create a new line of text within the same cell.
  • Have not found an adequate way to use bullets, or any simple bullet substitute (asterisk or dash, etc.) in the tables.
    • The bullet options I've tested automatically indent (which takes up unnecessary room in the table).
    • In addition, I haven't found any way to put a 2nd bullet in the cell because of the problem (described above) with attempting to insert a new line of text within a cell.
  • Have not yet figured out how to delete individual columns or rows within the table.
  • Haven't found a way to merge cells.
TableSample_TB11NoteEditor.png
Since I use tables quite heavily in my megabrain, the absence of more robust table features does represent a significant challenge for me in terms of migrating into TB11.

In light of this, are there any work-arounds or fixes for these table issues? Or are there any plans to provide a table editor with more standard features/controls?

Please Note:
> I am not looking for full spreadsheet functionality -- only a more standard table display with more standard features and controls.
> I am also aware that I could use an alternative editor (like Google docs or an attached document) to create my tables, but there are several drawbacks to each of these options:
-- Google docs requires the use of the embedded browser, which I do not want to have rely on since there are so may display issues with the embedded browser.
-- Even if I did use the embedded browser, Google doc tables do not adjust to display within the available space in the content area and must be opened in a browser for a full view of (and full interactivity with) the table.
-- Attaching a 3rd party document for the purpose of creating tables (instead of using the note editor) is also not ideal since this will, in most cases, require opening yet another application -- and it will eventually add substantially to the volume of attachments in my brain since I use tables so frequently.
-- Moreover, any/all types of attached documents lack the convenience, ready access and easy visibility of tables that appear within the note editor.
Harlan
Tables are designed to work with the underlying storage format (Markdown) and do not allow sophisticated layout features. There are several things they do not support at this time and it is likely that most of these things will not be added although some small improvements are planned.
  • Column widths are determined based on their content. You cannot set the width manually.
  • The header row cannot be removed and at this time it is not possible to set the background colors in the table.
  • To center (or right justify) a column, add the justification code at the start of the header row. (Type ":-: " at the start of the header cell to center all the cells in that column. Use "--: " for right justify.)
  • Only one line of text per cell is permitted. We are planning to add support for multiple lines per cell, but we might not get to it for a while.
  • Yes, bullets automatically indent - we'll try to make this work differently when inside of a table.
Tables are simply text with pipes ("|") making up the walls of the cells between them. As text, they can be edited in all the ways you would expected. Delete the pipe character to make the content of two cells into one. Add a pipe character to split the content of two cells into two. Etc. Specifically:
  • To delete a row, select the text and press delete. Or just delete the text character by character.
  • To delete a column you have to delete each cell one at a time by deleting the text (for example: go to the end of the cell and press backspace until you delete everything in it, then press backspace again to delete the left wall of the cell)
    • I know this is tedious - we'll add a command to take care of this in a future release.
  • To merge cells, delete the wall between them. This will make their content into a single cell. It will not make the cell "span" two rows or two columns; this is not possible.)
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thank you for your helpful feedback, @Harlan. I'll test the editing options you've provided and then let you know if I have any additional questions.

In the meantime, thank you very much for your consideration in addressing the following issues:
  • entering more than one row of text per cell
  • simpler/quicker options for deleting rows/columns
  • [Fixed] removing the indent from the bullets within the tables 
metta
@Harlan ~

Thanks so much for the ultra fast turn-around on the bullet fix in the tables! ðŸ˜ƒ

Genuinely appreciated. ðŸ™‹ðŸ‘
mcaton
Metta - thanks for confirming the fix.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software