Brice
Hi,

When I paste some indented test in the "notes" tab, all the tabulations are just removed. This is very unfriendly as I used to keep some development code fragments in my notes.
Furthermore, when I type a tabulation directly on the notes tab, it's automatically replaced by 4 non-breaking-spaces (  unicode 160), wich is "better than nothing" for visualisation, but can be problematic in some cases (again for code extracts - some languages are space-sensitives)

I know tabulation are not displayable in HTML, but i should still be displayable in the "text" mode. Why not using the 	 "tabulation" unicode to encode it rather than 4 whitespaces ? 
I also tried to add the 	 manually in HTML mode, but it's automaticaly removed after a text/html mode switch.

Finaly, in both cases (manually writing or pasting tabulation), it should be managed the same way regardless of "how" tabulation is inserted.
- Brice.
French user - TheBrain 7 beta.
mcaton
Brice,

Thank you for posting.  Can you post or send us an example of what you are posting into the Notes?  There are several other options for pasting diferent types of content into the Notes, such as:
  • switching from Design View to HTML view (click on VIEW > DESIGN VIEW)
  • remove unwanted formatting by clicking on EDIT > PASTE SPECIAL... > PLAIN TEXT 
One of these might be an option for you.

Thank you,
Matt 
Brice
Well, anything with tabulation/paragraph (\t) in the text.
Example with SQL code :

Quote:
SELECT * FROM t1
WHERE t1.num IN (
        SELECT num
        FROM t2
        WHERE ..
)

is immediatly converted to :

Quote:
SELECT * FROM t1
WHERE t1.num IN (
SELECT num
FROM t2
WHERE ..
)

Well, SQL is not a space-sensitive language but it can be terrific for visualization with many cascaded indentations. 

Finaly, when we add a paragraph in HTML view, it's correctly displayed (contrary to design view), but not saved. Swicth to DESIGN and back to HTML : paragraph has been removed.

- Brice.
mcaton
Brice,

I was able to retain the formatting when I pasted into notes.  Navigated away and came back to the test thought - still good. Even switched over to HTML view and back, still good.  My HTML view looked like this:

<p>&#160;</p>
<p>SELECT * FROM t1</p>
<p>WHERE t1.num IN (</p>
<p>&#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; SELECT num</p>
<p>&#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; FROM t2</p>
<p>&#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; WHERE ..</p>
<p></p>

This was a cut and paste from your first example.  Maybe the source that you are originally copying from does not have formatting that is "agreeable" with PB?  Where (or from what application) are you copying the original text?

Thank you,
Matt
mcaton
That last line should just be a < p > ) < / p > ... not a wink. 

Matt
Brice
Well, ok, there are several things going on here.
  • If I paste this 5 lines of code into PB from notepad
    (I did all of my test from notepad, and even my dev softwares doesn't allow 'html copying'), paragraphs are erased like I explained.
  • If I paste the code from here (the [quoted] one) in design view, some DIV are added (in design and HTML view) :
    -> this is not very friendly to read some big parts of code in design view

• When I paste your HTML code into HTML view,
    • If I switch to design view, paragraph are displayed with spaces (2 spaces by paragraph). The display is perfect, but if I copy from here and paste into notepad (for example), i get spaces rather than paragrahs.
      -> this is a problem for me, I have to keep paragraphs in design view, and especially when I copy from notes to paste somewhere else (i.e. notepad)

• If I switch to design and back to HTML: #160 are kept : This is OK
      -> it could have been a solution, but I have to encode my text to HTML before ... If my code come from notepad I can't "Paste HTML"

Did i missed something elsewhere ?
- Brice.
zenrain
No, I ran into this issue a while ago. Because it's an HTML editor, notes are really just not suited well for storing code.

I ended up attaching code as text files. This ended up working better for me anyway, since it just opens in Notepad++ which is the tool I use to work with it.

If it's very small snippets that won't change (and I need for quick reference) I've also taken screenshots and attached them as thought icons.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Brice
I thought to use attached files to store code, it will certainly be the way i'll choose if it's not fixable into notes, although I prefer using it quicker with notes and avoid external files (and screenshots).

I understand that it's an HTML editor, but i'm not talking about layout, colors or some tricky features, only tabulation (which is theoretically hardest in html than in plain text).

As i am a developper, my brain is actually full of code fragments and tabulation/paragraph is the only thing i really need.

Thanks for the anwser anyway 
- Brice.
mcaton
Brice,

I do see your point, but I can't think of any other existing solution in the current product. I'll certainly add your request to our feature request list.  Thank you for all the input.

Thank you,
Matt
Brice
I'll use external files for the moment then, thanks for the answer again Matt.

PS: Here is the uservoice link for those interrested :
- Brice.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software