dyslucksia
PB 5.5.1.0 Beta on Windows XP

Gripe #1

I began with a tag AAB, colored white. I wished to rename it Tag3 and color it yellow. I open its properties, rename it Tag3, then click Color. I select yellow from the palette and click OK. Then the popup appears "The tag Tag 3 already exists", as if I'm trying to create a duplicate tag name. I have to exit and repeat the process. On the second attempt, the new color is accepted.

At first I thought this was a fault in the tag color code, but since it doesn't occur with newly created tags, I now realize that this happened because PB didn't refresh the tag name, so I repeated the rename process, only to be told I'd already given it that name. This can be very confusing if you're not expecting it.

Hint: dragging the free edge of the tabs pane in or out forces a redraw and will update all tag names.

Here's another pic:

In this case the tag hint still has not refreshed. I tried going into different Views, etc. The only method that worked was to close and re-open the Brain!

Epilogue: Nope, that didn't work either, nor did checking and unchecking Hide Tag hints. In fact, the plex name won out over the tags pane name, proving slow refresh works both ways. I had to rename it to fix it.

Gripe #2
Why can't we create a tag and assign its other properties, such as color, in one step, as we can do when we create Thought types? Why? Because tags are really cunningly disguised Thoughts. They're obviously designed the same way as Thoughts in that we're obliged to return after they're created, open their Properties and then assign them. It would be too much to ask to do it all in one step, at the time of creation. It's time this was changed.

Gripe #3
While on the subject of duplicate tag names, this is disallowed in PB, though duplicate type names are permitted. Duplicate tag names are more useful since they allow the same symbol to be used in multiple tag names, but colored differently in each. Would you please ask the developers to look into this and permit duplicate tag names.

Thanks

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Moe
Dys, Thanks for the post.

Quote:

I began with a tag AAB, colored white. I wished to rename it Tag3 and color it yellow. I open its properties, rename it Tag3, then click Color. I select yellow from the palette and click OK. Then the popup appears "The tag Tag 3 already exists", as if I'm trying to create a duplicate tag name. I have to exit and repeat the process. On the second attempt, the new color is accepted.

Thanks, confirmed and passed on the the developers. As for Gripe 2 and 3, You can put in a User Voice request for these .

Thanks,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software