Spacenexus
Hi

I'm sure I'm asking a basic (and perhaps repeated) question. Is is possible to run TB8 over a NAS? If everything was there so that there was no risk of file frags, just like another drive, is that possible? I rememember I used to do that with TB3, I guess there should be no reason it can't be done with TB8?

Thanks

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
metta
Jim ~

I don't have any experience working with a network drive, but here is a recent discussion that discourages the use of networks.
> Be sure to advance to the next page of the discussion to see additional feedback from Matt.

Don't know if this will address your NAS question, but I thought I'd share it just in case.
mcaton
We do not recommend running TheBrain 9 or higher on a network or removable drive. This can and will lead to serious issues and data loss further down the road.

Thank you,
Matt
Spacenexus
Thanks Matt and Metta for the advice.

Righto, looks like it's that 8TB SSD for the laptop then.

Thanks

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
metta

@Spacenexus  & @mcaton ~

Any advice, recommendations, hints/tips re: the choice of an SSD?

I've been reading conflicting info about how quickly SSDrives degrade.

My understanding is the larger the drive is the longer it will last.
> Is this correct?
> Is there anything else I should keep in mind?
> Also, is there anything special that needs to be done in terms of SSD usage and maintenance?

Spacenexus
Hi Metta

For the last year, I've been using the Samsung 850 Pro 4TB SSD just for my brain. The current model is the SSD 860 PRO 2.5" SATA III 4TB. It's extremely high quality and unless you pack it to 95+% of capacity, you won't have an issue. I beleive a lot of the 'maintain free space' recommendations related to earlier generations of SSD. I also have a 0.5TB m.2 SSD for my OS and everything else. The performance has been outstanding and just about all lags that I used to get using TB on spinning hard disks are eliminated.

So this week I received a Micron 5210 SATA SSD 8TB. I'm looking carefully at it as that is a new QLC chipset and is apparently more geared to datacenters. The implicaions are that the total disk write capacity is lower that TLC chipsets. However, even with my full on daily use as an individual user, I am not querying nor writing to the disk anywhere near its design limits. I'm currently at 3.5TB in my megabrain with an additonal 1.5TB of stuff that I would choose to migrate in if I decide to upgrade to the 8TB disk. Mine is probably an unusual case.

I also have several backups running on spinning disks and with a good backup regime have not lost any data since the 1980s. I transferred my handdrawn maps as a teenager to a MSDOS mindmapper, then MindMan on Windows 3-5, then PB in 1998! Since then TheBrain has been the central backbone of my digital world, superceded only by MS OS and Office products. It's reliability over decades as an evolving product with the corporate stability of Harlan and the team to keep innovating in my experience is unparalleled. I only restate this because when combined with the current generation of SSDs and computers, I feel the ecosystem is starting to catch up with the enormous power and resilience of TheBrain software.

If you're well below the 4TB limit, then I fully recommend the Samsung 860 Pro which is super solid. I've made several posts in the past about backup principles and cadence. I've had failures and corruptions but through disciplined backup have managed to fully recover (never more than a day or two or data which I deliberately maintain the original sources of before I brained it).

Hope those thoughts help.

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
metta

Many, many thanks, Jim! ðŸ™‚

Very much appreciate your helpful and detailed feedback. Although yours is, admittedly, an unusual use case, the fact that you've been successfully managing such a very large megabrain for so long, and that you have such confidence in the service TheBrain team is providing is heartening, indeed.

It is also encouraging to know your current use of an SSD has served you well -- and I'll be keenly interested to know what you eventually decide regarding your 8TB SSD.

In the meantime, I look forward to taking a closer look at your Samsung recommendation along with your earlier/older posts on backup strategies.

In addition, I'm curious: Have you shared any other posts about how you organize and use your megabrain as the "central backbone of my digital world"? It is crazy fun to realize you've managed to build on the hand drawn maps from your teenage years -- and, if there's any more info you've shared previously (or would care to share now) about your brain organization and use, I for one would definitely be interested in learning more....

(If you have time to elaborate further, perhaps this would be a topic for another forum discussion or perhaps a Skype chat?)

Spacenexus
Metta

Here are some links I've gathered to threads with prior posts I`ve made. Some of the references are a bit memory lanish 🙂 referring to old tech:

A couple of articles relaying how I structured my megabrain:

Collection of various insights:

A think tank at your command!

I relayed the experience of my biggest brain failure:

There are many other awesome posts from contributers with their ideas and approaches too which should be visible in the threads also, There also were some posts in the old forum but I guess they're digidust now.

Hope that`s all helpful!

Best

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
metta
What fun!! Ã°Å¸â„¢â€¹Ã°Å¸ËœÆ’

Thank you so much, Jim, for sharing this wealth of resources! Can't wait to dive in and review (learn) more....

In the meantime, I very much appreciate you taking the time to gather all these links together. This collection provides a wonderful opportunity to deepen my understanding of how you have tapped into the extraordinary potential of TheBrain -- and I will share more thoughts as they arise....

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software