Spacenexus
Hi guys

When dragging in URLs from Firefox to TB8 increasingly often the web page article title doesn't appear in the thought name, It's usually some tag related to the domain. It's no problem to use the "switch name and label text" function, that's working fine. It's just that there's no data being captured.

Again, I can understand that there's likely no more new work being done on TB8, but some of us are still trapped in this fine, stable environment for reasons discussed here (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/brain-8-to-10-import-error-the-files-relative-path-cannot-be-longer-than-150-9953660?pid=1307165810). Also, there are no doubt users who still work with TB8 for numerous other reasons.

However, as development in the web environment creeps on, I beleive it's useful to keep track of how TB8 may occassionally need a little attention just to keep basic behaviour expectations operational.

Thanks

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
metta
Spacenexus wrote:
....some of us are still trapped in this fine, stable [TheBrain 8] environment for reasons discussed here (http://forums.thebrain.com/post/brain-8-to-10-import-error-the-files-relative-path-cannot-be-longer-than-150-9953660?pid=1307165810). Also, there are no doubt users who still work with TB8 for numerous other reasons.....I beleive it's useful to keep track of how TB8 may occassionally need a little attention to keep basic behaviour expectations operational.
Could not agree with you more, Jim.

Thank you for highlighting the importance of keeping TheBrain 8 fully operational at least until:
  • we have parity between the TB8 desktop and TB10 desktop
  • we have parity between the TB8 webbrain and TB10 web client and
  • full migration from TB8 into TB10 is finally possible.
deakus
I'm also a continuing user of TB8 for various reasons.
However you have to accept that no other work can be invested in TB8.
The key reason is that it is written in Java and the Java licencing rules which come into force during 2019 means that Java has to go.
Brain User since 2.0
Spacenexus
Thanks for the headsup Deakus

Well, that's going to have to be a cost TheBrain is going to have to pass to users of TB8 that are still stuck in the ecosystem. Looking at the pricing (https://upperedge.com/oracle/using-java-heres-how-oracles-new-2019-java-se-licensing-affects-you/) it doesn't appear to be too onerous at $2.50 per month. Until a solution in TB11 is figured out to enable long path file names to operate correctly then this will have to be the solution.

I agree that it certainly doesn't help new developers looking to build on the Java platform.

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software