JMM
Hi everybody,

Unfortunately Error (jpg-file) for every word file (doc and docx)??
Sometimes it works. Usually not.
Best regards
JMM Click image for larger version - Name: TB9_Word2013.jpg, Views: 112, Size: 42.69 KB
JMM
another unexpected error.... Click image for larger version - Name: TB9_unexpected error.jpg, Views: 48, Size: 149.29 KB
metta
FWIW, I've received 2 unexpected error messages this morning alone (after updating to V.260). Output log following the 2nd of the two has already been submitted to Support.
JMM
I love theBrain, but
please Sorry guys, I don't want to be a beta tester anymore.The last few versions just don't work good. No Outlook Integration, Problems with Word Documents...I've no time to convert all the Documents in a pdf, everthing is much slower than Version 8. Fear to start an new Brain in TB9. No possibility to open TB9-Brains in TB8; Notes in TB9 , a so called "unreasonable imposition"...lack of export. etc..
Nevertheless, there is still a lot more that can be done...

Sorry for my growing impatience...
Regards JMM
mcaton
JMM,

Thank you for posting.  First, you do have the option of switching your application from the Alpha or Beta channel and staying on the Stable channel. Please open Preferences > System Tab and switch your update setting over to Stable.

Next, we're happy to help troubleshoot/discuss these issues with you.

First, regarding Outlook: Unfortunately, Microsoft made supporting drag and drop from Outlook quite difficult and has changed the APIs required to make it work several times. This is not a trivial feature to implement. However, there is a good workaround. Simply open a folder for the Thought where you want to attach the message then drag and drop to that folder.
-Right-click the Thought
-Open Thought Folder
-Drag the email into the folder

Alternatively you can drag and drop to your desktop and then drag from there to TheBrain.

More direct support for drag and drop from recent versions of Outlook is something we are planning for a future release of TheBrain.

We do have an open ticket to review the document preview message you received. Does the preview feature work on the second attempt of the same document?

TheBrain 9 should definitely be running faster than v8. What type of slowness have you encountered?

You are correct that version 9 Brain databases cannot run in version 8.  The application architecture is all new in version 9 and the databases that v9 creates are not backwards compatible.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Notes in TB9 , a so called "unreasonable imposition"" The focus of notes in v9 was the ability to create easy, consistent content. Further development and options within the notes (and all aspects of the software) are planned for future releases.

And finally, "lack of export".  What type of export were you hoping for?  We've recently created a video tutorial that demonstrates some export options at  https://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials#importing-and-exporting

Thank you,
Matt
tomcal123
Matt - Related to Outlook drag and drop - I have a Windows folder called, "Add to The Brain".   I drag Outlook emails to that folder as needed.  I empty it a few times a day by dragging the contents of that Windows folder into appropriate locations in The Brain.  That works fine for now, although I wish the contents of the email were searchable in The Brain.  My question is regarding Amazon.com.  If I'm researching a product and drag the product page into The Brain, the thought is named, "Amazon.com".  However, I've found that if I drag the Amazon product page into my "Add to The Brain" Windows folder first, the product name and description show up.  Then, when I drag that into The Brain, I have the appropriately named thought.  Is there a setting or something I could be doing differently so that dragging directly from the Amazon product page in Chrome to The Brain includes the product name and description?
JMM
mcaton wrote:
JMM,

Thank you for posting.  First, you do have the option of switching your application from the Alpha or Beta channel and staying on the Stable channel. Please open Preferences > System Tab and switch your update setting over to --> ok
Next, we're happy to help troubleshoot/discuss these issues with you.

First, regarding Outlook: Unfortunately, Microsoft made supporting drag and drop from Outlook quite difficult and has changed the APIs required to make it work several times. This is not a trivial feature to implement. However, there is a good workaround. Simply open a folder for the Thought where you want to attach the message then drag and drop to that folder.
-Right-click the Thought
-Open Thought Folder
-Drag the email into the folder

Alternatively you can drag and drop to your desktop and then drag from there to TheBrain.

More direct support for drag and drop from recent versions of Outlook is something we are planning for a future release of TheBrain.
—> ok

We do have an open ticket to review the document preview message you received. Does the preview feature work on the second attempt of the same document?
-—> unfortunately not.

TheBrain 9 should definitely be running faster than v8. What type of slowness have you encountered?
—-> e.g. Change the Theme 
You are correct that version 9 Brain databases cannot run in version 8.  The application architecture is all new in version 9 and the databases that v9 creates are not backwards --> ok

I'm not sure what you mean by "Notes in TB9 , a so called "unreasonable imposition"" The focus of notes in v9 was the ability to create easy, consistent content. Further development and options within the notes (and all aspects of the software) are planned for future --> ok

And finally, "lack of export".  What type of export were you hoping for?  We've recently created a video tutorial that demonstrates some export options at  https://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials#importing-and-exporting

—> Export options within tb8

Thank you,
Matt

Matt, thank you for the information...
JMM

Matt,first of all I have to start MS Word, than the Preview Function within TB9 works...Pushing the Preview-Button without a running MS Word leads to the error message.
Pdf works fine without starting Adobe Acrobat Prof.
Regards
JMM

Click image for larger version - Name: pdf.jpg, Views: 39, Size: 81.35 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Worddocx.jpg, Views: 41, Size: 82.86 KB
JMM
JMM wrote:

Matt,first of all I have to start MS Word, than the Preview Function within TB9 works...Pushing the Preview-Button without a running MS Word leads to the error message.
Pdf works fine without starting Adobe Acrobat Prof.
Regards
JMM

Click image for larger version - Name: Worddocx.jpg, Views: 0, Size: 82.86 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: runningword.jpg, Views: 37, Size: 74.58 KB
mcaton
JMM,

Thank you for sharing the additional details on previews working for you when the word application is running.  This is helpful information and I'll make sure our engineering team is informed.

Tom,

Thanks for sharing the experience of your Amazon links.  I'm getting mixed results with my tests.  Some create a product thought name, others end up with amazon.com - but I'll document for further review.

Thank you,
Matt Caton

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software