Dryopithecus
(Sorry for my bad English)

Problem:

It seems PB reindex modified files only when the thought is activated or highlighted (by mouse over). This means the files that I opened from outside PB (e.g. Google Desktop Search) are not reindexed until I activate/highlight related thoughts in the Plex.

Solution:

Add a pending_files.txt file in the installation folder of PB. The content of this file looks sometimes like this:

C:\Brains\Main_brain\Files\E42922AB-9406-DDC3-A685-D6B9C4777225\fruit.docx

C:\Brains\Main_brain\Files\E704B30B-7C52-CB2E-24B7-F6A669EA7289\seed.xlsx
C:\Brains\Main_brain\Files\7DF48F8D-243D-C2A6-CF8E-8983ED7B4978\flower.xlsx

These paths are supposed to be added by the scripts/macros written by users. For example, in MS Word, users can write simple scripts that when a documents is saved or closed, add its path to pending_files.txt file.

When PB's main window is activated, PB will check pending_files.txt for new paths, then reindex corresponding files, then delete these paths from pending_files.txt.

In pending_files.txt file, if a path does not belong to any Brains, PB simply removes it; If a path does not belong to the current opened Brain, PB ignores it; Only the paths belong to the current opened Brain are processed.

This way, we should at least be able to keep the index for some of our documents (docx, xlsx, etc...) always up to date.

dyslucksia
I haven't tested this reindexing problem personally, but have no reason to doubt you.

Quote:
This means the files that I opened from outside PB (e.g. Google Desktop Search) are not reindexed until I activate/highlight that thought in the Plex.

Are these files internal attachments (located within PB's folders) or external files that you've been accessing from within PB as virtual thoughts? Whichever they are, it appears that you would like PB to automatically check for and re-index files whose datestamps show they have been modified since the last time PB was run.

Surely it shouldn't be necessary to go to all the trouble of creating a special list of files which you've worked on outside PB, then feed it to PB. All we need is a simple checkbox in Options > Preferences asking PB to reindex subsequently modified files at startup. It might take a little longer, but if you or others are in the habit of modifying PB's files outside PB, this would be a useful feature to have. Let PB do the work for us.

Am I off track or would this solve your problem?
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Dryopithecus
dyslucksia wrote:
Are these files internal attachments (located within PB's folders) or external files that you've been accessing from within PB as virtual thoughts?

I was referring to both internal and external attachments, but not the files in virtual thoughts.

Quote:
Whichever they are, it appears that you would like PB to automatically check for and re-index files whose datestamps show they have been modified since the last time PB was run.

Surely it shouldn't be necessary to go to all the trouble of creating a special list of files which you've worked on outside PB, then feed it to PB. All we need is a simple checkbox in Options > Preferences asking PB to reindex subsequently modified files at startup. It might take a little longer, but if you or others are in the habit of modifying PB's files outside PB, this would be a useful feature to have. Let PB do the work for us.

I have a similar feature request: Scan _brain\Files folder every few hours for new/modified attachments

Both methods have their strengths and weaknesses. I'd like to see both of them implemented.

This feature could also be completely transparent to the end users. I said "these paths are supposed to be added by the scripts/macros written by users.", I just wanted to emphasize the flexibility of this feature, the end users don't have to do anything if the developers are kind enough to write macros/addons for common programs like Word and Excel, and install the addons during the installation of PB. (I think it should be a piece of cake for them to write this kind of addons for Word and Excel.)

The advantage of this feature is its speed, it should take only a few seconds for PB to update the index for modified documents, no need to wait PB to scan the entire _brain\Files folder every XX minutes, or manually activate/highlight related thoughts in the Plex.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software