zenfrog

Now I am into the “Many Brains” camp rather the “One Brain to Rule Them All” camp - going to need templates. 

There used to be a template function in Brain 7, I think. 

Its a real faff to set up new Brains (types/tags etc). What’s the best work flow for Brain11? Maybe create a Template then export to Brain Zip & sync to my different computers by Dropbox? Are there plans to bring internal templates back (useful in iOS I guess)? 

Any workflow ideas, much appreciated here..... 

My #ThinkFlow System (not “WorkFlow”)  is in 5 parts:
Evernote | Ayoa TheBrain11Walks in NatureMind Mapping with Ink

macOS/iOS

Resident of a small island, the size of the average American parking lot; the land of cricket, tea & warm beer 🏏 ☕️ 🍺 

DavidGretzschel
oh you definitely need one Template Brain, since you can't really copy Thoughts at the moment.
Workflow is a bit fiddly, I'll make a demo video of what I'm currently doing later tonight.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

DavidGretzschel

as the title says! Sorry, don't have a very coherent explanation in me tonight.
And this is still something I fuss with a lot.
And then there was a bug in the middle, that I've literally never seen before.....
and then I noticed a typo in in the paste dialog....

objective:
Have a prebuilt structure for every day, where I can track various important aspects.
Meditation, medication, exercise, work etc.

Types:
So I have a Template Brain which has a day type, and a bunch of child types. But they are not subtypes.
I have those same exact types in my main Brain.

Template Thought group:
In the Template Brain I have one day-thought, which is of the day-type.
The day Thought has a bunch of context/comma-children, each being of the appropriate child type.
Each of the template Thoughts has useful stuff prefilled into the note.

workflow:
When a new day starts, check if I still like the template. If not, change it.
Then select all Template-Thoughts and copy them over to my main-Brain.
For each day I did that, I can now easily check what I did that day. What was added to the inbox that day, what I ate,
what I worked on, what I noticed during meditation etc.

Atm this is very basic. Instead of changing the individual Thoughts in the Template Thought group, I could make multiple versions and pick a template that suits my mood. Or a weekend template group.
Or a Template Group that doesn't involve certain Thoughts.
Like maybe I go to the gym Wednesdays and Fridays, then I'd have gym-Thought on a Wednesday and Friday Thought Template Group.

Extending this further one can of course organize all days under the heading of a month or week.
Have templates for that and build yourself a weekly/monthly review checklist, connect this with a review-based processing habit, project-templates, a reference system, an inventory.... sky is the limit.

I've mostly done all those things individually. Bringing them together and then reliably keeping myself using the system and adapting it to my needs is still something I struggle with. But that's what I use the quarantine to figure out.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
Also what I struggle with in making TheBrain my permanent total org system is the fact that it crashes with multiple windows very quickly.
And working with something so complex is a lot easier, if you can put each child Thought and each system aspect into it's own window.
It's a lot easier to remember everything important, if every thing that's important, has its assigned window.
https://forums.thebrain.com/post/crash-strange-errors-and-eventual-crash-when-working-with-merely-six-windows-very-slowly-5360-10462954?pid=1311048664
Hope that's fixed soon, though.

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
re: the template system
[realizing I didn't explain why I did not use subtypes]
I think it's best to avoid subtypes, as the whole "copy into another Brain, which happens to have the same types already, so skip the Type-check" gets even more finnicky if type-inheritance is involved.
I tried that before with meditation having a "distraction log" and a "preparation" subtype with the same structure mirrored in the Template Thought group, but it ended up working better, when I dropped those.

--
---
---

metta
@zenfrog ~

Since there is currently no quick & easy way to duplicate a brain, I would make whatever templates you need as separate, standalone brains.

Then, when you create a new brain, review your templates, choose the one you need, make any necessary updates to the template, and then import it into your brain. Voila! You're good to go, without having to worry about duplicating types or overwriting existing content.
zenfrog

@metta
@DavidGretzschel

Thanks for your efforts!

I am simply after one Template, I think - prepopulated with some standard Types & Tags, so every New Brain can have a constant underlying core "structural language" - for example, because I dont feel the need to cross link my Evernote, DevonThink, AirTable databases with TheBrain - I simply have some Tags with Graphical Icons for each app - to designate - "look there to find more info"

An inbuilt "New Brain from Template" Option would be awesome though, @mcaton

macOS/iOS

Resident of a small island, the size of the average American parking lot; the land of cricket, tea & warm beer 🏏 ☕️ 🍺 

metta
@mcaton ~

+1 for "New Brain from Template"

@zenfrog ~

Just curious: if all your brains are going to have the same standard set of types, what are the benefits from having multiple brains instead of one megabrain? Always interested in how other people are using TheBrain.....
zenfrog

@zenfrog@metta

I am currently going down the line of 1 Brain per "significant topic" for example at the moment I have active Brains on

- Covid19
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test Level 1
- American Black Bears
- Brexit 
- Biology of Autism
- Apple Technologies 
- Jordan Peterson
- The History of Art
- Biomimetics 

Each and everyone will have tags for other places I keep information relevant to that topic (DevonThink, Gmail, Fastmail, Evernote, OneNote)  basic structure of People, Places, Historical Age, Importance, Completion State. 

Obviously I will add more specific tags and subtypes - but each has a basic universal structure. Who/When/Where/How/Why/Which etc. 

Once I finish a topic, I will archive my key notes in Evernote and simply stop updating that Brain.  

macOS/iOS

mcaton
I've seen Templates designed in several different ways in the past.  Of course, you can create one Brain that has all the desired Types, Tags and basic skeleton structure that you'll be using over and over again, and save this as a .brz file to import into a NEW Brain each time... or even import into multiple areas of existing Brains... 

Other options would include creating a .txt, .doc or .xls file/outline that again can be copied and pasted in, but this example would not generate any Types or Tags... just thought structure.

Thanks,
Matt 
DavidGretzschel
@mcaton
Is the way I use them something that was possible in an earlier version via the "copy Thoughts"-functionality?
Cause I like the way I can copy a bunch of correclty typed, connected Thoughts with prewritten Notes (copying only the conncetions between the selected Thoughts), but it was fairly litlte difficult to figure out and set up.

I felt that this was what "copy Thoughts" should just do, without a second Brain in the loop at all.
I honestly still have no idea what "copy Thoughts" is supposed to accomplish within a Brain.
Nothing I couldn't do with "Selection>Link as Children", I believe.

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software