deakus Show full post »
rgloor
I use Linux (openSUSE) on my HomeOffice Desktop Machine (openSUSE LEAP), my Main Machine / Notebook (openSUSE LEAP) and on my secondary Notebook (openSUSE TUMBLEWEED). I have been using PersonalBrain for many years and I feel bad, that it is coming to an end (on Linux, hence for me).

I have promoted it to several people, using different OS's. One of the reasons I was promoting. was the fact that it was a multi plattform application, given the user freedom and the control over their data, no matter how they switch OS's.
rgloor
MilkTea
What is strange is that most of applications start to roll out versions for linux. And that TheBrain stops rolling out on linux.  By "few using Linux", I suspect the expanded phrase "few PAYING customers using Linux".   It must be said : I pay for software.  Not the big bucks that professional people pay for WIndows crap, but an honest royaltie for decent useable software.
tz
I stopped using TheBrain when moving over to Linux a few years ago, but now I have a new use case for which I think TheBrain would be a perfect fit. Well, I think I got the Java version still somewhere here, will see if I can make it work on my KDE Neon distribution.
rgloor
MilkTea wrote:
What is strange is that most of applications start to roll out versions for linux. And that TheBrain stops rolling out on linux.

I feel in a similar way. Lately, Microsoft has annoyed many clients with their behavior. And Linux has made good progress on hardware support, graphics support and speed. More people indicate to me, that they are now seriously considering the move.
However, removing applications from linux portfolio doesn't help the move over.

MilkTea wrote:

By "few using Linux", I suspect the expanded phrase "few PAYING customers using Linux".   It must be said : I pay for software.  Not the big bucks that professional people pay for WIndows crap, but an honest royaltie for decent useable software.

I hold it the same way. I also use a lot of free software (like LibreOffice, Thunderbird, etc.). But I usually give annual donations to serveral of those OSS projects.
And I also purchase commercial software for linux.

Freedom for me, it is not really free as a-free-beer, but free as freedom-of-choice.
rgloor
deakus
All is not lost, If you still want to use the Brain on Linux you still can, you just have to stick with the brain 8. However it will slowly will eventually become unusable as the Linux desktop moves on.

I would rather loose the Linux native desktop brain, than loose a native desktop application all together.

They could have decided to make it Web Based ony with no native application. The only reason why I suspect that has not happened is that it is technically challenging to make it web only just by nature of the attachments and access to them offline etc.

If it went web only... thats when I will start flipping tables over... just warning yah all ! 😡
Brain User since 2.0

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software