rengel
YMMV, but when I see a button that suggests  a switching action, I expect a switching action, but not a change of the colors. As a decent tooltip is still missing, it takes trial and error to figure out what the color settings button(s) really do, and that they don't switch the colors at all.
ColorSwitching.png
Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
mcaton
Reinhard,

Thank you for posting.  The arrow key IS working properly in my local test, also on Win 10.  Any additional steps that may have contributed to the switch colors arrow not working?

Thanks,
Matt
rengel
Matt,
as far as I can tell, the colors don't switch correctly with thoughts, that have a type with custom colors assigned. This is what the video shows:
If I select a type (the video starts with an arbitrary type '20 Person' selected) and switch the colors, the colors of the type and all the dependent thoughts are switched correctly.
But if I select a thought (in the video 'Mortimer, Adler' or 'What Man has made of Man'), the colors are switched to a generic black-and-white scheme (or so it seems).
If I create a thought (in the video 'test') without a type, but with custom colors, the colors are switched correctly .
So the issue seems to be related to thoughts that have a type with custom colors.

mcaton
Reinhard,

It's a bit of a grey area since the colors are actually set to default/default and thus it is inheriting colors from it's Type... but if you were to reverse the default colors, you are customizing on the Thought level and thus overriding the inheritance. The correct colors would then be white/black.  Make sense?

Thank you,
Matt
rengel
Matt,
from your answer I infer that you could replicate the issue?
I understand your argument, but this functionality doesn't make sense. The button doesn't suggest to reverse the default colors, but the background and foreground colors. In that case, I simply expect that it does swap the colors (inherited or not) that are before my eyes, not some default/default colors that are lurking somewhere in the background. As is, with typed thoughts, the swap function swaps the pair of inherited colors with the pair of native colors and vice versa. That's not what I would expect by any stretch of imagination - and I guess you wouldn't either.
I understand, that you try to explain why the software does what it does. I try to understand, what the user would and could reasonably expect.
Just by looking at a thought, I can't tell if its colors are the default colors, custom colors on the thought level, or colors inherited by its type. If in one case the colors are swapped correctly and in another they are not swapped correctly, I see a bug, not some debatable design decision.

dlorde
Have to agree with Reinhard - if the swap button shows two colours and a swap arrow, it should swap between the displayed colours. It doesn't make UI sense to have identical swap buttons behave differently on different thoughts, with one swapping between colours it doesn't display. Perhaps a separate option is required, or a notification.
mcaton
Thank you both for sharing your thoughts.  Yes, just to confirm, I am seeing the same results now. I'll document and discuss with the engineering team.

Thanks,
Matt
mcaton
Good news. This issue has been addressed in our latest 11.0.70 build. This new build can be downloaded on our Alpha Channel. The Alpha channel contains frequent updates and provides access to the very latest versions. It is the recommended channel if you have an urgent need for a fix that is not yet available on the Stable channel and do not mind frequent updates.

To get on the Alpha channel:

Windows: Go to Options > Preferences > System > Updates, and select Alpha from the dropdown menu. Then go to Help > Check for Update, and install the update.

macOS: Go to TheBrain > Preferences > System > Updates and select Alpha from the dropdown menu. Then go to TheBrain > Check for Update, and install the update.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software