Harlan
I'm truly excited to announce that TheBrain 11 is now available for download.

TheBrain 11 Alpha Download

We'll have much more information to share soon, but in the meantime you can see the features list and try it out for yourself at the above link.

Thanks for your patience. We're looking forward to your feedback.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan

Versions 11 and 10 Compatibility

Although possible, we do not recommend going back and forth between versions 11 and 10.

• Notes created in version 11 are not available in version 10.
  • Version 11's improved security means that each time you switch between 10 and 11 you will have to login again.

TheBrain 11 features a new notes editor. When notes are edited or created in version 11, the changes are saved in a new format that is not compatible with version 10. This results in the following consequences when going between versions 11 and 10:

• If you make changes to a note in v11 then open that thought/link in v10, the notes changes that you made will not appear in v10’s notes editor. An internal file called “Notes.md” will appear that contains your notes. This file is hidden when you are viewing from v11.
  • Avoid making changes to a note in v11 then opening that note in v10 and making changes again. This will result in the loss of the changes made in v11 since the latest change you made in v10 overwrites the changes you had made in v11.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Thank you very much, Harlan, for this important clarification.

Although I suspect this goes without saying, am I correct in assuming we should not try to run TB10 and T11 at the same time because of these compatibility issues?
wordmuse
One of the things I missed most in TB9 and also in TB10 is the Expanded View that was in TB8 and earlier. We were told that it was being considered to be ported into TB9 and then to TB10, and it never happened. Can I infer that it is a dead issue, and that the expanded view will never be coming back?

~ Bal
mcaton
Bal,

Thanks for posting. Not a dead issue at all. In fact, we just had an impromptu meeting this past week and discussed the viability of it's revival.  It's no small task and it's still on our own wish list for a future build.

Thank you,
Matt
danlandrum
Enjoying the speediness on macOS. Wow. I'm also quickly becoming a fan of the notes editor. The cursor animation is something I've never seen before. I really like it. So far, so great.
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
wordmuse
Matt - thanks for the update. You'll understand that I kind of feel like Charlie Brown being tempted by Lucy with a football. 🙂 

Overall, I love TheBrain. But this one is a sticking point with me. I get that there are technical issues that have to be resolved. But it's been since TB9, and here we are at TB11!  I'll be thrilled if it comes back.

~ Bal
wordmuse
Questions about TB11: is there an import function to bring over a copy of a TB10 brain?  Does TB11 use the same file structure as TB10, or is it completely new? I have documents - like Word files - that have links to other documents within a TB10 brain. These are Word documents in different thoughts - meaning different Windows folders. I've been using relative references in order to make the connections so that if I had to move everything to a different computer, the internal logic would be maintained, even if the root folder was different. 

Will my relative reference links still work in TB11?
Harlan
@metta: Correct. yes, we recommend switching to v11 all out unless it is not working for you because once you start taking notes in v11 those notes will not be accessible in v10.

@danlandrum: Glad to hear you're noticing the speed up on macOS and enjoying the new notes editor. Even I find myself using notes much more (and I already used it quite a bit before). We really love to hear that the details like cursor animation are being appreciated.

@wordmuse: Re: expanded view... Sorry if you feel that you've been lead along as we really do try to avoid that kind of thing. As anyone who reads the forums for a while knows, we almost never talk about things that are not imminently ready for delivery as it inevitably leads to disappointment and frustration. Just to be clear, we are not working on this but it is not out of the question that we will one day in the future (and that future may or may not be a long way away).

Re: TB11 file structure... Yes, your relative references will still work. TB11's file structure is the same as TB10. As such, there is no "import" process - it just works with the same data in the same place. The only difference in the way things are stored is with notes. If a note is created or edited in 11, it will not be accessible in 10 (as described at the top of this thread).
Regards,
-Harlan
wordmuse
Thanks for the clarification about Expanded View, Harlan. Much appreciated. 

Is there a way to make a copy of my TB10 brain and then use that with TB11Alpha?

Regards,
~ Bal
metta
@wordmuse ~

The options I'm considering for "copying" a few of my TB10 brains are detailed in this discussion:
Creating an Accessible v10 Archive Before Working in v11?

Will be interested in your thoughts and feedback, along with those of TheBrain support team.

Thanks also, @Harlan, for your feedback re: the v10/v11 transition.
wordmuse
I just exported a TB10 brain and imported it into TB11. 

TB11 changed the names of the Windows folders, meaning links between documents that are stored in different thoughts are broken. 

Am I doing something wrong? I need the folders to keep the names they had. Here's a screenshot of the before and after. I don't see why TB11 has to change the folder names. There's certainly no user advantage that I can see to the new folder name.

example-folders.png I don't know if this is fixable, but if it is, please make it so my relative links between stored documents work!  

Question: am I the only person who stores documents - like Word documents or HTML files - that link to other Word documents or HTML files, that are stored in different thoughts? If I am, then this is not really TheBrain's problem. It's mine, for using TB in a way it was not designed to be used.  It would be nice to know.

~ Bal
metta
@wordmuse ~

FWIW, I've shared my initial thoughts on this issue in the context of discussing GUID changes and options for working in TB10 while waiting for TB11 to mature.

Someone from TB Team can provide a more informed (and accurate) answer than I on the folder changes you observed after your export/import process.

FWIW, I do store many files in my v8 megabrain -- although not as many as I had originally hoped since the capacity of our brain accounts is currently limited to 30GB.
Harlan
It is not necessary nor recommended to export and import your brain when using version 11. This process creates a new brain with new GUIDs for every object and is exactly the cause of the new folder names (since these must correspond to the GUIDs).

To use version 11, just open your Brain in version 11. Then, either don't open it again in 10 or if you do, don't make changes to notes that have been modified or created in version 11. If you're not ready to do follow this advice, I'd recommend not using version 11 at this time.
Regards,
-Harlan
wordmuse
Got it. Thank you very much for the explanation. Makes sense. 

~ Bal

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software