Harlan
Version 9.1.12 is out now and is the release candidate. Thanks to everyone here for helping with the beta process for 9.1!

Things are really heating up at TheBrain HQ as we prepare for not only the general release of 9.1 on both the desktop and mobile platforms, but the start of the public beta for TheBrain 10.

We have already been working on version 10 for quite a while and are looking forward to sharing all the exciting things we've developed for you. TheBrain 10 includes more than 50 new features, many of them requests from you and some of them things that we have been planning for years.

Stay tuned for more info in the next week or so...
Regards,
-Harlan
ascetic
Such short term life time of Version 9 is,  Almost say goodbye while encountering with it. What a pity. Goodbye my lucky number.
Xavier
Team TheBrain copying Microsoft, release 9 it's not good, quickly go to V10 ðŸ˜ ???
Harlan
While the official release of 9 was early this year, the first beta was in late 2015. 🙂

The beta for 10 will be much shorter as version 9 was a complete rewrite and 10 builds on the foundation laid by 9. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Xavier
Hi Harlan, I notice the V10 beta has shorter than V9.

However, I still have my main map in V8 because there are always numerous bugs on V9. I have at present 2 tickets opened to your support on V9.

So I hope you make efforts to resolve this bugs before you release the V10. Can you prior quality of the product before new features please!

Thanks,
Xavier (an old customer that wants to stay in use with your product if quality is guaranteed)
Harlan

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for being a long-time customer. 🙂

As you may know, we spent over 2 years doing bug fixes and addressing requests as part of the v9 beta. I don't know what your particular issues are in v9 but I can assure you that v9 is absolutely far more stable and reliable than v8 and our team will do everything we can to address your issues.

If we were only interested in new features and not quality we never would have rebuilt the entire system from the ground up for v9. It would have been far easier to just add features on top of the v8 codebase. Rebuilding everything was in fact the biggest possible demonstration of commitment quality we could ever make.

Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Exciting news. I've been using version 9 since it's alpha release and couldn't be happier with it. For me it's been a huge upgrade from v8 with tons of time saving features. Looking forward to what's coming in versions 10. Thanks Harlan!
macOS 10.14.5
TheBrain 10.0.51
sibleyd
I am very excited to see the list of 50 new features. 
mctrexler
Xavier wrote:

However, I still have my main map in V8 because there are always numerous bugs on V9. I have at present 2 tickets opened to your support on V9.

So I hope you make efforts to resolve this bugs before you release the V10. Can you prior quality of the product before new features please!

Thanks,
Xavier (an old customer that wants to stay in use with your product if quality is guaranteed)

Xavier, thanks for your note. This is the same feedback I have provided. Although I understand Harlan's points about all the improvements with TB9, the fact remains that I can't move my maps to V9 because the web client is basically not backward compatible with V8.  Support has the list of what I would call bugs. For example, our brain uses types to organize the plex (the work of hundreds of hours), which 9 doesn't recognize.  We have tons of tags, which might show up in TB9 when they shouldn't. Videos don't show up in 9. There are a number of these kinds of things that desperately need to be fixed in 9 to allow such Brains to be migrated. 

The items I'm discussing here don't get at all to the bigger question of TB8 vs. TB9 in terms of reports, expanded views, etc.  They simply deal with the basic backward compatibility of TB9. 

I don't know the issues you are referring to, but I would echo your request to Harlan that TB please please please make it possible for us to migrate from V8 to V9 before things get too confused with V10. 

Mark
Windows 10 
metta
I currently have TB9 installed in 2 different Windows 7 machines -- and I have a dozen help desk tickets open for TB9, with many more that were closed (before they were resolved) when they were handed off to Engineering for troubleshooting.

My most recent help desk ticket was submitted just yesterday after upgrading to version 9.1.12, and I'm sorry to report this recent issue is just part of a long, ongoing pattern of in-app error messages that occur when I try to use TB9.

In fact, these reliability issues have been so severe that (after more than a year and half of intensive testing and error reporting with TB9) I finally gave up on trying use TB9 for the past several months in the hope that performance would improve with the release of each new version -- and yet there have continued to be performance and reliability issues when testing each new release.

I realize iOS/Mac users may not be running into the same type/number of issues and bugs, but this ongoing pattern of unresolved issues on Windows, combined with all the bugs in the web client that have not yet been addressed, has been disappointing at best.

And while I'm sure many of the new features in TB10 will be welcome enhancements, I share both Xavier's and Mark's concerns about forging ahead with dozens of new features when there are still so many unresolved bugs and reliability issues in TB9 Windows desktop and the TB9 web client.

In fact, when I was initially considering the possibility of beginning to use TheBrain over 6 years ago, my most serious reservation was discovering individuals here in the forum who were concerned at that time about new features being added before old bugs were being fixed.

In light of this, I sincerely hope the release of TB10 will not overshadow the importance and urgency of addressing unresolved issues and bugs in both the Windows desktop and the web client.
zenrain
Windows 7 is a 10 year old Operating system who's mainstream support was ceased by Microsoft in 2013. Extended support stops in 2 years. I'm wondering how that experience compares to peoples experiences using an up-to date Windows OS and machine.
macOS 10.14.5
TheBrain 10.0.51
rustyedges
I'm on the latest update of Windows 10 and continue to experience frequent crashes with v9 and in general would put myself in same camp as Xavier and metta.

While the overall benefits and new features have me sticking with it, the notes editor in particular is frustrating to point of being useless (just this week hit new issues like strikethrough formatting not being retained on copy-paste, superscripting reverting after a couple seconds).

If I'm reading the release notes for 9.1 correctly, some of my issues should be fixed, but why should I have to pay for an upgrade for bug fixes? (I went to a license and no subscription only after having paid for 2 years of v9 beta and not trusting future product).

I'm hoping v10 is a new chapter as I'd still like to leverage TB for more projects
ruudhein
Very exciting news; looking forward to the beta.

Harlan wrote:
Rebuilding everything was in fact the biggest possible demonstration of commitment quality we could ever make.

I agree. It's what gave me enough confidence in TheBrain to return to it. 

Besides preferences in for example how the note editor works, I rarely encounter real errors. Sometimes TB stops, but then again, it's open 24/7 on a laptop that's on 24/7 as well. Nothing fixes a computer like a reboot. Besides that I have a specific website where for mysterious reasons the styling is stripped all of a sudden.

On the whole though I feel confident using TB9. No data loss, even when it stopped/crashed.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | PrintFriendly | TheBrain v10.0.50.0
kbunders
rustyedges wrote:
I'm on the latest update of Windows 10 and continue to experience frequent crashes with v9 and in general would put myself in same camp as Xavier and metta.

Me too!

The Brain 9 is _not_ an improvement. Slower than version 8, many unexpected crashes, and missing features compared to version 8.

Dell XPS 13 9343 | Windows 10 1903 | TheBrain 10.0.50.0 Pro License 
Laptop screen resolution 3200x1800, scaling 175%
Secondary screen resolution 3840x2160, scaling 125% (set as main display)

iPhone 7 Plus | 256 GB | ios 12.3.1 | TheBrain 10.0.3.1
mcaton

Russ,

If I'm reading the release notes for 9.1 correctly, some of my issues should be fixed, but why should I have to pay for an upgrade for bug fixes? 

As I recently mentioned in another thread, in the near future, we'll be pulling important bug fixes from 9.1 back into 9.0. I don't have a date available quite yet for this new 9.0 build, but stay tuned to future releases/updates announced here in the forums, on the website and within the app itself.

When possible, we're happy to migrate significant and/or non trivial v9.1 fixes and enhancements into v9.0, but the underlying architecture must support it and in some cases, that won't always be possible.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software