zenrain
Since I've basically stopped using TheBrain 8 now, and am using 9 only, I don't have the option of using TheBrain on iOS. Since a major part of my TheBrain usage on iOS was sending it web pages, it had left a rather large gap. 

If some of you are in the same place, here's what I'm doing. 

1. I updated my workflow in iOS Workflow app. It now captures the link (or note) I'm passing to it and appends it to TheBrainImport.txt file in Dropbox. I also have an action in Drafts that does the same thing.
2. I have a KeyboardMaestro macro that watches for TheBrain 9 to start (automating in TheBrain 9 using KM is so much easier, I'll have more to say on this when TheBrain 9 goes live). When it starts it checks TheBrainImport.txt file and if it isn't blank, opens it in BBEdit. 
3. I then manually (mostly) copy and paste the url into TheBrain.

The reason I have KeyboardMaestro automatically open the file is otherwise I have a tendency to get lazy or forget about it. This way if there's something new to put into it, it's in my face and takes 1 minute. 

It's not as seamless as adding it in a mobile version, but honestly, it's pretty dang close. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Harlan
Nice workaround. [smile]

I'm happy to report that you shouldn't need to use it much longer as we will begin signups for TheBrain 9 iOS App very soon. More details to come, but it is a significant step up from the current version of the iOS app.
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Harlan wrote:

I'm happy to report that you shouldn't need to use it much longer as we will begin signups for TheBrain 9 iOS App very soon. More details to come, but it is a significant step up from the current version of the iOS app.

Wow, exciting news. Thanks for the update Harlan!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
howardrv
That is good news.  Like Zenrain, I am now totally version 9, but without the creativity to workaround the lack of a IOS version, so the sooner the better for me.
Howard
zenrain

I've updated my Keyboard Maestro workflow so it will automatically add the contents of a .txt Import file into TheBrain 9.

For those that are interested, here's the URL to the Workflow macro I use from iOS. You will have to enable connectivity with Dropbox. Also, if you have a Pinboard account it includes the ability to add the URL as a bookmark. You can remove this step if you don't have it. Also make sure you add it as an Action Extension.

I've also included the Keyboard Maestro macro below. Before running it for the first time:

• In TheBrain 9, open Preferences > Keyboard > Paste As New Thought. Set it to ⌘ + Shift + T.
  • Open the macro in Keyboard Maestro. The steps to modify are in Red. There's a comment in Green above that tells you what to put in there.

When TheBrain starts, if Keyboard Maestro detects URL links in the dropbox file you specify, it will prompt you. 

Wait until TheBrain has completed opening, then press [OK].

It will activate the thought you specify and then start adding the URLs as child thoughts. 

If it detects a duplicate, it will automatically navigate to the duplicate thought and ask if you want to continue. If you press yes, it will ignore that URL and go to the next one. If you press no it will cancel the macro (I went the lazy route here). 

This has ended up saving me quite a bit of time for URL capture. Enjoy!

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Rob2050
Harlan wrote:

Happy to test the iOS 9 App !!   [wink]

Smellack
Harlan wrote:
Nice workaround. [smile]

I'll be happy to move over to TheBrain 9, I've been holding off testing the desktop app since I didn't want my iOS brains to get out of sync.  Now that the Beta is open to the world, I expect a full release soon and I'd rather not be left behind because the iOS version is incompatible.
mcaton
iOS for v9 is still in development and making great progress.  We're also excited to get the new version out soon.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software