wordmuse Show full post »
pthompson
If you are having issues with TheBrain indexing and you are on Windows, please try this install: http://com.thebrain.assets.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/TheBrain_windows_8_0_0_8.exe

If you are still having trouble after using this version, please let us know. Thank you.
wordmuse
I look forward to the day that I can use TheBrain additionally for representation and concepts.

For me, that requires TheBrain to provide one additional view: a mindmap view so that I can view things in much the same way as I view them in Freeplane now.  Most of the important thought attachments are mindmaps - with files that support the representations found therein.

Freeplane is limited in that it is strictly hierarchical. But there is much that can be done with hierarchies and the ability to have a truly scannable surface is worth a lot to me. TheBrain's interface is good for some things, but not for that (for me anyway).

The beauty of Freeplane in the context of TheBrain is that TheBrain indexes Freeplane file content. So I can use TheBrain's search function as if Freeplane were native to TheBrain.

Don't know if any of this makes sense to anyone but me. [smile]  That's OK - it works for me.

BTW: I made this suggestion here: http://forums.thebrain.com/post/mindmap-view-6567254?pid=1279870254#post1279870254

Regards,
Bal
enkidu
hello again

it makes sense in the sense that using 2 applications to do 1 job is a workaround ;-)

I dont know Freeplane, but I also find TB wanting in its visualisation (I've vented my ideas in other threads).

I definitely dont use TB as an indexing app, NOR as a datastore : the filesystem does that, and every OS has an indexer. TB excels at its non-hyeararchical linking of any object, so I stick to that

cheers
enkidu

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software