jbaty
When first testing v9 there were things I disliked.

1. Showing a preview of web URLs in the notes area
2. Clicking the selected thought opens the Properties dialog
3. Hovering over any thought displays the preview in the notes area
4. Double-clicking the divider swaps panes without resizing proportionally

Now that I've been using v9 "in anger", I've changed my mind about all of these.

1. The preview is surprisingly useful. This is only true on larger monitors, but I'm really digging being able to quickly check, say JIRA issue status without clicking a link, switching to my browser and back, etc. Totally thought it was a terrible idea. I was wrong.

2. The properties dialog drove me nuts and I said so. I'm not sure why. It took me a while, but I'm now used to it and I prefer it. It makes renaming, etc. just a click away and I like it.

3. I might prefer a slightly longer delay on hover, but I've re-enabled the feature and it's nice for quickly checking the content of related thoughts (especially when combined with #1).

4. When I discovered that double-clicking the Plex->Note divider would swap panes I was surprised. At first I thought that it was meant as a way to switch from a notes-on-left layout to a notes-on-right layout. I didn't like that although it swapped panes, it kept the ratio. Now, I realize that it's perfect the way it is. It's meant as a way to switch from _focusing_ on the Plex to focusing on the notes, so maintaining the existing ratio but swapping content is exactly how I want it to work. I love this and use it _constantly_, please don't listen to anything I may have said earlier [smile]

Anyway, v9, when used in real life, is pretty great and getting better. Thanks to all.

mcaton
Great feedback Jack and we appreciate your thoughts and honesty.  

I like your idea of a "delayed hover."  I believe this is on our existing feature request list, but I'll review to make sure.

Thank you,
Matt
zenrain
jbaty wrote:
It took me a while, but I'm now used to it and I prefer it. It makes renaming, etc. just a click away and I like it.

Ditto.

jbaty wrote:
When I discovered that double-clicking the Plex->Note divider would swap panes I was surprised. At first I thought that it was meant as a way to switch from a notes-on-left layout to a notes-on-right layout. I didn't like that although it swapped panes, it kept the ratio. Now, I realize that it's perfect the way it is. It's meant as a way to switch from _focusing_ on the Plex to focusing on the notes, so maintaining the existing ratio but swapping content is exactly how I want it to work.

Wow, never thought of that workflow. I'm going to have to incorporate that.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
Yes... it's interesting how initial thoughts change through use. I think I've changed the Open Properties method a couple of times and do prefer the single click on active thought.

I'm still not convinced about swapping the Notes | Plex position though, but I'm more than happy to accept it's just me. I'd prefer the Notes to stay on the side I put them on... a bit like resizing a window for greater focus doesn't automatically move it to the centre of the monitor (that would drive me crazy [wink] )... 
perry
zenrain wrote:

Wow, never thought of that workflow. I'm going to have to incorporate that.

I'm trying... but I don't like it [frown]

I use the Notes window quite a bit on TB8, and found that helpful.

I wonder if it's how users are trained on their OSs? It's just not what I would expect to happen on Windows...

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software