Kriggel23
In TB8, I used the thought icon to get a fast and easy preview for a thought's (main) attachment.

To create the thought icon in TB8, I just have to drag an attached PDF-file out of TB8 onto the icon of an App of mine, which creates a file named "TheBrainIcon.png" for the first page of the PDF, within the same folder.

Now, in TB9, this small workflow is broken.
I can't drag an attachment out of TB9 (as already reported), nor does the thought icon base on TheBrainIcon.png. Maybe it's within Brain.db?
Current workaround found: reveal PDF-file in Finder; create PNG; copy PNG in Finder; select thought in TB9; paste icon. It works this way, but it's not as elegant as my small app ...

My suggestion/wish: add a new function within the attachment context menu, something like "use as icon", or "create icon from this", or "make thought icon". This could work on any image file type (PNG, TIF, JPG, etc.), as well as other (main) file types (DOC, ODT, XLS, PDF, etc.).

I know, there's now the attachment preview function in TB9, which can be activated via Preferences>UI>'Previews for file attachments'. But I'm just used to the thought icon being "my" preview.
My basis in TB are the thoughts, their relations, and the notes. If I ever need a preview, the thought icon gives me enough details to decide whether a thought is relevant in a given context or not...; when I think of a thought in TB, I associate it with something like "one file", which may have over the time different file formats (TXT -> SDW -> ODT), and for documentation, PDF.
In short words: I know, there's a file attached to a thought; but normally, I don't need a preview - if so, it has to be fast and easy, just a quick look.

Kriggel23

zenrain
Just a note that if you have no other attachments, an attached image will automatically be used as the Thought Icon (I do this all the time).

macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Christian,

I *think I understand your process.  I set up a similar icon preview, but typically I take a screen grab with TheBrain's 'Capture Image' feature. I'd love to see a quick video (if you can make one) of your process in v8.  This might help me clarify the feature request.  

Additionally, if you are looking for the icon associated with a thought, I like to click on the + sign in the attachments area and select OPEN FOLDER.  Your existing icon will be in the .data directory in the Thought folder that opens up. 

Thanks,
Matt
zenrain
Quote:
Additionally, if you are looking for the icon associated with a thought, I like to click on the + sign in the attachments area and select OPEN FOLDER.  Your existing icon will be in the .data directory in the Thought folder that opens up. 

Oooooh, good to know!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
Kriggel23
Matt,

that's it! Great! TB8 "TheBrainIcon.png" became TB9 "/.data/Icon.png". With that information, I can adjust my App for icon-creation to work with TB9, too.

The background and my workflow:
  • I have a lot of text files, created over the time with StarOffice, MS Word, OpenOffice, LibreOffice.
  • In order NOT to depend on those programs to read / view those files, I create beside and out of each .SDW/.DOC/.TXT/.ODT-file a PDF-file.
  • [If the text file was migrated from e.g. StarOffice to LibreOffice, I keep .SDW/.TXT  and .ODT files]
  • Original text file and PDF-file now are attached to the same thought in TB (=moved from finder to the thought).
  • To create the thought icon, I just drag the PDF file from TB8/attachments list onto my App's icon. The App now creates for TB8 an image file named "TheBrainIcon.png" within the same folder as the PDF, so TB8 gets the thought icon...

You see? With just one drag&drop, I can create the icon for the current/active thought...

Kriggel23

[Update: tested "my" workflow in TB9 on MacOS: created subfolder ".data" within thought folder, moved file "Icon.png" into this subfolder. Result: nada! TB9 still does >>NOT<< show a thought icon after this. There must be something else ...?!]
mcaton
Christian,

You are correct.  The folder/icon.png cannot be created manually.  I'll write this up as a feature request.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
TB9 does not rely on the file system exclusively to store icons so it will not be possible to create the icons in that manner. We have added a new command in the next version that will allow you to copy the preview image to the icon. I think this will accomplish what you want.
Regards,
-Harlan
Kriggel23
With version .109, the issue above is solved, thank you, well done!

I can set the flag  in Preferences > UI > 'Previews for file attachments'; when I now select an attachment, I find the menu item "Copy to Icon" nearly on top of the contextual menu. That's really great!

Small detail: I only see the first page of the attachment, and cannot scroll forward/backward. If I want another than the first page to use for the thought icon, I have to do a small workaround, but, well, I can live with that ...

Kriggel23

mcaton
Christian,

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that you like the new feature.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software