Kriggel23 Show full post »
mctrexler
I'm puzzled again re instance search. 

I have several hundred headings titled "N - XX" for categories of news stories.

I have five that start with the word "business"  N - Business XX"

N - Business Adaptation
N - Business Impacts
N - Business Initiatives
N - Business Opportunity
N - Business Sectors

When I do an instant search for "N - Business" only ONE of the five shows up: N - Business Initiatives.

When I search for "N - Business Impacts" it shows up, but the whole point is to not have to remember all of my headings. 

Why isn't "N - Business" turning up those five at the top of the list.  Gosh knows it turns up another 100 things, but none of them start with "N - Business"

Mark
pthompson
mctrexler wrote:
When I do an instant search for "N - Business" only ONE of the five shows up: N - Business Initiatives.

If that is the case, there is an issue with your Instant Activation Index. Please try rebuilding it. This is what I am seeing in my quick example:

Screen Shot 2015-09-02 at 2.32.36 PM.png    

pthompson
Kriggel23 wrote:
Changing thought names so that they will match the search functionality is NO solution

I'm sorry if I made this sound like a solution to the problem. I was merely trying to point out that this is the case and this is how searching is supposed to work.

There is a fine line between making search fast/responsive, and increasing the size of the information that is indexed which would decrease performance.

If you were to remove some numbers from the Thought that doesn't show up in your example, it will be found using the same search layout. The words you are searching for have to be in close proximity to each other when you are searching. There is a limit to the length that the search terms can find.
mctrexler
Thanks Patrick.  Now I'm more intrigued. 

When I search for N - Business in webbrain, here's what I get:

webbrain capture.png 

When I search for N - Business on my desktop, here's what I get:

desktop capture.png 

This is AFTER rebuilding the instant search index, AND the full search index, and as far as I can tell it's identical to what I was getting before rebuilding the indexes. 

Interesting, after rebuilding the instant search index two of the "n - business" entries showed up.  But after rebuilding the full search index we're back to the same N - business initiatives. 

Now as soon as I add another letter, "N - Business a" then "N - Business Adaptation" instantly pops up. 

So is there a problem with the search index that won't change, or is there SOMETHING about the search index generically (given 60,000 thoughts), or the algorithm?  Puzzling to me!

Mark
mctrexler
Another example: 

"T - Market Mechanisms"  (one of two thoughts in the brain that starts with (T - market)

Search for "T - Market" nothing shows up

Search for "T - Market m" it immediately pops up. 

Get rid of the "dash" in case that's a problem, no impact on the search results reported above.  Is there something about having a single letter out front that confuses things?  But why only on the desktop, and not webbrain?
mctrexler
I'm searching for the term "T - Investors" in my desktop brain. 

I search for "T - Invest" nothing shows up

I search for "T - Investo" immediately "T - Investors" shows up. 

Why wouldn't "invest" find "investor"? 

Note, this is in the desktop.  "T - invest" in Webbrain turns up "T - investor" just fine. 
mcaton
Mark,

Web and desktop used different methods for searches and creating the search index, so it's not unexpected that you'd see different results.  And it sounds like the "invest" example is just too far away from "investor"  It's missing 2 letters off the original.  "investo" is a closer match, just one missing letter, so the desktop search picks it up.

Thanks,
Matt
mctrexler
Thanks Matt. However, that just makes no sense at all. 

"T - Invest" turns up "S - Investment" but doesn't turn up "T - Investor"?  

"Elec" turns up electric, but "invest" doesn't turn up investor? 

That's just strange. There's something unpredictable about the instant search, and that's what people keep referring to. 

Mark

mctrexler
So

So instant searching for "T -" turns up the list of "T - " headings including "T - Courses"

Searching for "T - C" turns up a bunch of stuff, and NOT "T - Courses"

Searching for "T - Courses" turns up nothing. 

Now that is just plain strange.  

zenrain
Here's another example in The Climate WebBrain. 
Go here.
Search for "geoengineering".
The search list will not include the active thought.

Given that instant search is the primary discovery method of using TheBrain, I hope this defect has been flagged as a priority. I would imagine this is specific to large databases, which makes me wonder how badly the search results in Jerry's brain are affected.

Edited: Added "search results" as I didn't want to indicate there's a problem with the actual thoughts and database. [smile]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
pthompson
zenrain wrote:
Here's another example in The Climate WebBrain. 
Go here.
Search for "geoengineering".
The search list will not include the active thought.

In this example, it is because the Thought name is S - Geoengineering. The "S -" separates the Thought name. I believe this has been explained earlier on in this thread.

Searching for "%Geoengineering" will return the results for the Thought.
zenrain
[Post Deleted]
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mctrexler
With my new totally souped-up computer (bought specifically for TheBrain), I rebuilt the Climate Web database yesterday (after getting an error running the instant activation indexing), and re-ran the search indexing process for the 10,000 documents in the Brain.  Even with blinding speed it took HOURS (mostly the search indexing). And I've been re-running some of the instant searches referred to in the thread above. The results are different than they were before, although still a bit odd in some cases.  This suggests that re-indexing is probably more important than I'd assumed in the past, at least for large Brains.  

Some results:

"T - "  Turns up tons of stuff, including "T-Courses"
"T - C" Turns up tons of stuff, not including "T-Courses"  Same for T-Co and T-Cou
"T - Cour" Turns up "T - Courses" and so do T-Cours, T - Course, and T - Courses.  

So the instant activation is now finding T - Courses which is great news!  I'm still puzzled by the algorithm that is reflected in the search results.  Why would "T - C"  and "T - Cou" list "What if we could each" but NOT "T - Courses"   I think I see why an algorithm might do that, but it doesn't answer WHY the algorithm would be designed that way.  

Of course this is all on the desktop, so is not referring to Zenrain's posts regarding Webbrain.  

Mark 

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software