rengel
Sorry, if I keep nagging...

'Details', 'Open Notes Window', and 'Open Thought Window' should end with ellipses (...). That's the established way to indicate, that window or dialog will be openened. Without ellipses it suggests an immediate action.

'Details' should be 'Show Details' or 'Open Details Window', just to be consistent with the two items below. Otherwise you make me think: 'Details' - What about them?
Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
jbennett
Reinhard, 

In all three of the instances you mentioned, the command is intended to open a window and no additional information is required from the user.

Please read the following excerpt, taken from the website of Two Rivers Consulting, a Boston based user interface design consulting firm:

"The Windows User Interface Guidelines say that “[Ellipses] indicate that a command needs additional information. Don’t use an ellipsis whenever an action displays another window—only when additional information is required.”

So just because a command opens a window doesn’t mean that it should have an ellipsis. Sometimes the command’s entire purpose is to open the window, such as in New Window. In that case, the command has been completed without further information. It’s just that for that particular command, completing it meant opening a window."  (http://tworivers.com/blog/archives/465)

-James
rengel
James,

OK, I learned something about ellipses and follow your argument.

What about the second point ("Details' vs. 'Open Details Window')?

jbennett
Reinhard, 

I understand your second point.  "Open Details Window" or "Show Details" are suitable alternatives that may provide addition information to users about the command's resulting action. I'm not entirely sure this added clarification is necessary, but I will submit it to our engineers for review.

- James
rengel
James,

here, the whole point is consistency in wording the commands to minimize distraction. If some commands follow the 'action-object' pattern and others (which perform similar actions) don't you start wondering what the difference between the commands might be. That's distracting.

Regards,

rengel
James,

following your logic about ellipses, shouldn't 'Thought > Attachments > Add Attachment' have ellipses? Afterall a user action is required?

jbennett
Reinhard, 

Agreed.  I've submitted this to our engineers.

James

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software