plk

I'm new to TheBrain and am grappling with basic concepts. For instance, is it possible to derive a thought's notes from a template? I know it's possible to base attachments on templates. I'm creating a bunch of contact "thoughts" and they'll, of course, share common properties (name, address, etc). Probably there ways the program anticipates the need to do such things, but I lack the competence to discover them. I thought maybe I could define a thought "type" with certain properties (essentially data fields). I'm using the version 6 beta. Thanks for advice or comments.

zenrain
Create your Template thought, and set everything the way you want. 
When you wish to create a new thought from that template, activate it, right-click and choose Create Duplicate Child thought. Now you can shift-link it to the desired parent (holding down the shift button while linking a thought removes the current parent, and adds it to the new thought).
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
plk

Thanks for the tip. One thing I'm still unclear about: can only attachments derive from templates and not a Thought's notes (the richtext control that displays within TheBrain)?

rhodes
zenrain is correct. Templates are only for attachments, such as a Word document containing a letterhead. If you wish to create a template of text (and images, etc.) stored in a Note, you must create a Duplicate Child thought (regard it as a Thought Template) whose Note contains this, store it somewhere out of the way in the same brain or even in another brain, then recall it and either:

1) copy the (template) Note out of it and paste it into the Note you are working on, or
2) (easier if you haven't yet created the new thought), use Copy Thought or Create Duplicate Child Thought to make a copy of it and use that as your new thought. The difference between the two is that Copy Thought copies all the links, whereas Create Duplicate Child Thought does not, the only link being its link to the original parent. However, in this case they work identically since the thought being copied in Copy Thought is also a Duplicate Child Thought with only a single link.

I find the term Create Duplicate Child Thought  misleading as it is too easily confused with Copy Thought and doesn't make it plain that while the Thought itself is copied, its links are not. When you Copy a thought and paste it somewhere it makes a copy of  itself and all its links. When you Create a Duplicate Child Thought it is immediately pasted as a child of the original, minus all its previous links, but is still not an Orphan as this would drift completely unattached. Duplicate Thought only seems clearer to me.

Thus a thought template may be created using either Copy Thought or Create Duplicate Child Thought, one with links and the other without.
Alan Rhodes
zenrain
Just to add a bit more information, when you create a duplicate child thought, it does copy everything into the new thought. Icons, notes, attachments, thought types, tags etc.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software