mbaas
When a thought has many children, unlinking one of them gets difficult, as it is hard to hit the right line and click right mouse button without loosing that pixel. (Especially when thinking about smaller screens etc.)
So I would like to suggest adding an "Unlink"-Menu to a Thoughts-Context-menu. This Unlink-Menu (or maybe even three: "Unlink child", "Unlink jump", "Unlink parent" - or cascaded under the "Unlink"-Menu) should show all relevant items the current thought is linked to, and selection of one would immediately unlink it.
(Obvious kbd-shortcuts for that would be Shift+F6,F7,F8, I guess)
This would also make lifer easier for the kbd-junkies among us, as the only way to unlink (that I know) would require the mouse - this would enable us to use the kbd for that

tcahill
mbaas wrote:
When a thought has many children, unlinking one of them gets difficult, as it is hard to hit the right line and click right mouse button without loosing that pixel. (Especially when thinking about smaller screens etc.) So I would like to suggest adding an "Unlink"-Menu to a Thoughts-Context-menu. This Unlink-Menu (or maybe even three: "Unlink child", "Unlink jump", "Unlink parent" - or cascaded under the "Unlink"-Menu) should show all relevant items the current thought is linked to, and selection of one would immediately unlink it. ( Obvious kbd-shortcuts for that would be Shift+F6,F7,F8, I guess ) This would also make lifer easier for the kbd-junkies among us, as the only way to unlink (that I know) would require the mouse - this would enable us to use the kbd for that

Not to take away from your context menu suggestion, but I have found that:
a Control-Click of a thought's connector (parent, jump, child) will select all the thoughts linked to that connector. I then individually Ctrl-Click the thoughts I do not want to affect (easier than trying to nail the little link line), then, in the selection box, a right click presents an unlink command. Unfortunately, one hand does have to come off the keyboard for this maneuver, but it does help reduce eye-strain!

Cheers
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
mbaas
This can even be simplified by clicking the parent, then ctrl-clicking the thought that is to be unlinked and then unlinking it from the selections context-menu! But still it is too much clicking and the whole procedure can't be 'keyboardified'
JosephMcEntire
For the sake of solidarity, I want to add my digital voice to this request.  The keyboard shortcuts in PB 4.5 are very friendly and usable.  However, the lack of an "unlink" keyboard shortcut gets me wobbly.  In fact, it's the only reason that I ever have to touch the mouse while using PB.  It's frustrating and I hope the developers will consider the possibility of adding this in a future release.  Cheers.
mbaas
Just thought about it again: a related option could be to unlink via context-menu of the linked thought (not the active thought), so while it could be difficult to add 100 "unlink from..."-options to the context-menu of the active thought, you only ever have a single option "Unlink from {name of active thought}" in the context-menu of a linked thought. And clicking the linked thought and opening its context-menu is surely less difficult than finding the appropriate link and right-clicking it without moving the mouse
Darkstar
I have a few thought hubs with up to 80 links (actually, a few hubs will go higher on occasion). To UNLINK a thought in that crowd while in Expanded mode, just grab your target child thought and DRAG it to be in a spot near your active thought where you can clearly see the link that needs pruning. Unlink. Then unpin the dragged thought.

In normal mode, it is actually simplier. Scroll your child thoughts aree until the thought is in the leftmost column, highlight it (to find the link), and unlink. If that is STILL too busy for you (and this is why I said leftmost in that prior sentence), then just dial up your font size to reduce the number of children in the plex, and scroll over to your child thought (if it slid away due to the change in displayed child thoughts) until you have it, unlink, and dial down the font size until you are back at your normal, reasonable, font size.

I fear that a context menu showing me all the child thoughts on a large hub thought wouldn't be very useful. But on smaller thoughts, it would be yet another way of quickly unlinking, so that is certainly a useful suggestion.
-Darkstar
SamCox
Feature Request

On crowded notes (thoughts), it would be convenient to be able to isolate a link by tapping the thoughts on both of its ends. Perhaps clicking with an additional shift key (e.g., the ALT key on a PC) could provide this capability.

Alt+Click Parent followed by Alt-Click Child would select the unique link between them.

Alt+Click Thought1 followed by Alt-Click Thought2 when Thought2 is not linked to Thought1 does nothing.

Alt+Click Thought followed by letting go of ALT key aborts command.

-- Sam

jostber
It would be interesting to see if unlinking could be done by using the keyboard. If Alt-Up Arrow and Alt-Down Arrow could be set to scrolling links for the active thoughts in a round-the-clock manner(jumps-children-parents), then Alt-d could unlink directly, and Alt-m could bring up the right-click menu.
TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
vlad1
I find the procedure for re-linking thoughts to be tedious. To re-link, I create a new link and then unlink the old link. It would be good if fewer clicks were required to do this. How about this: add a "change link" menu option (next to the unlink menu option). When selected, both ends of the link become enabled in some way so that you can drag either of the ends to the gate of a new thought, simultaneously, the plex will unlink that side of the link from the old thought. With a change such as this, changing links will become more of a one step process rather than a two step (i.e. create link then delete link) process.

Maybe I should create a new thread specific to re-linking? I know that this thread is about unlinking, however, I figure that maybe unlinking and re-linking should be dealt with together, in a holistic way.
zenrain
You can hold down the shift button when dragging a link to drop all other links and just link to the new thought. However, if you have two parents and only want to drop one, this won't work as it drops both parents when you link it to the new one.

Edit: This is if I understand correctly what you mean by re-linking.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
dyslucksia
PB v5.5.1.4 now has keyboard accelerator and Thought context menu option to unlink from Active Thought!
PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
jostber
dyslucksia wrote:
PB v5.5.1.4 now has keyboard accelerator and Thought context menu option to unlink from Active Thought!

I like it very much when new keyboard accelerators appears!

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software