mctrexler
I noticed this in recent release notes: "Paste Thoughts as Jump Thoughts when pasting from Text Outline under a Type." I don’t actually understand the use case, but I am noticing (since 106) that whenever I copy and paste thoughts they are no longer children of a Type, but they are Jump thoughts of the Type. I don’t understand why that would be, and it's visually confusing (the Type seems to simultaneously have jump and children thoughts).  Is this a bug associated with the specific case being addressed in the release notes?

Mark

Windows 10    TB 11.856
Harlan
When a thought is linked as a child of a type, it becomes an instance of the type. This leads to unintended consequences when pasting. To avoid this issue, thoughts are pasted as jumps when the active thought is a type. If you wish to make them an instance, just move them or link then as children after pasting. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Rob2050
What IS a Jump Thought?
NickMilner
Harlan wrote:
When a thought is linked as a child of a type, it becomes an instance of the type.

And long may this continue because it's incredibly handy! E.g.
  1. You can speed up the thought-creation process by pinning common types and simply dragging a link down from a child gate to the Plex. Type in a name and, hey presto, the new thought is typed without you having to click the type button and select it.
  2. It's easy to build automation to create a thought, then create a parent thought, simulate keypresses to enter a type name, simulate a cursor up to select it, hit enter, and again, hey presto, you have a new typed thought generated entirely through automation. I have a button on my Mac touchbar that makes new Task thoughts from whatever's in the paste buffer. Handy. 😉
The same trick works with tags, btw.
NickMilner
Rob2050 wrote:
What IS a Jump Thought?

Jump thoughts are the ones that link out of the side of a thought rather than up or down (parent/child.) They allow you to make sideways "jumps" between thought hierarchies to model relationships that don't fit into either parent or child categories. They're the neurons that allow you to configure all kinds of direct associations between different parts of your brain.

Here's an old blog post that nicely describes the different types. (I got a security warning but the link is safe.)

/edit - the article is from a much earlier time and the product has changed a lot since then, but it's a useful description of the modelling concepts.

There's also the tutorial video if you've not seen it...

Rob2050
Haha... of course i knew what Jump Thoughts are, I just forgot they were called that. I will have to add a thought to my brain called "What is a Jump Thought" now, just to make me laugh.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software