wordmuse
If I create a set of 10 thoughts of things to do, there is only one visual way to see the thoughts I have designated as completed versus those that I've yet to do.  That is with thought types: one type for to do and another type for done.  (I suppose I could leave the to do items in the default - without a designated type.

But this is clumsy. I can't look at a thought and just check it off. I'd like to have checkboxes, just to the left of a thought.  I've created a mock-up to show you what I envision.

As can be seen, it is super-easy to see which items have been completed and which are yet to be done. The "to do list" is just one possible use. You could also use it to designate important items in a research project, etc.

- Bal

Click image for larger version - Name: plex-checkboxes.png, Views: 195, Size: 61.25 KB
Spacenexus
An original and thoughtful idea! +1

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
rengel
Quote:
...  there is only one visual way to see the thoughts I have designated as completed versus those that I've yet to do....

An alternatiive would be to use two tags: todo and done. I would use a thought type to designate the thought as a task.
Checkboxes would add still more clutter to the plex.

Quote:
You could also use it to designate important items in a research project, etc.

How about icons to designate important items?

Reinhard, TB 11.0.98.0, WIN 10

Quality is the result of attention paid to details.
enkidu
I agree with rengel on leaving the plex as simple as possible.

Also agree that icons in this case would be just as efficient as checkboxes - didn't think of trying, icon usage is very new for me.

I use container thoughts TO DO and DONE, which is less than optimal but satisfactory.

cheers
enkidu
wordmuse
The ability to attach an icon to a thought type is new to me - and fantastic.  Thank you for that.  It's not as elegant as simply being able to toggle a checkbox since I have to go through a multistep (but easy) process to change the thought type.  But I agree with you that icons are better for multi-value variables (e.g., start, in progress, stopped, and done).

Perhaps giving users the option of having checkboxes in the Plex would provide me and those who don't want them with the flexibility to have it as we each desire.

- Bal
zenrain
This would be a welcome feature, using Thought types is a workaround, but it means you can't give that thought a type other than todo (or done).
Tags work slightly better for that purpose, however you can't assign icons to them, so you lose the visual differentiation.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
enkidu
taking a step back, I am wondering if we are not shoehorning TheBrain into something which it is not.
After all, it is fundamentally NOT a project management application. It's not conceived this way, as far as I'm concerned.

For real project management, there are apps that are far better suited  for the purpose.

I agree that some form of TO-DOing is possible, but TheBrain is just NOT time/date-oriented. The Plex is not, the views are not.

that's my 2 (€) cents for the day !
cheers
enkidu
wordmuse
Actually, you can set up multiple thought types that are semantically along a single variable. At first I simply color coded the thoughts, which wasn't very helpful because there are limited colors and my ability to perceive nuanced shades of colors is somewhat limited. I have a tough time, for example, telling the difference between #ffffaa and #ffffbb.  I know - sad, really, but as Clint would say, "A man's gotta know his limitations."

But by being able to add icons to the thought types, I can make muti-valued variables with multiple thought types.

[36]

As I assign the thought type, the icon is also assigned.

One significant disadvantage of this method is a possible proliferation of thought types, meaning that in a practical sense, I can only have a limited number of multi-valued variables using this method before the proliferations becomes unwieldy. Supertypes help, but ultimately even they are just a stopgap.

- Bal
wordmuse
Your point is taken, enkidu. But we are merely posting to a suggestion box. 

Certainly there are other ways to accomplish what the checkboxes could accomplish. But "to do" is merely one of many possibilities.  Here's another example.  I have a bunch of reading material to plow through. I list each item as a thought. Into this thought will go drilldowns based on my reading. When I am done, I'd like to check off that I've done it.  Now, as I've shown above, I can do this with thought types. And, in fact, that is how I am currently doing it.

I think it would be more elegant to have simply a checkbox that can be toggled. And if this were provided as an option, then you could use it or not as you preferred.

- Bal
enkidu
Hello Bal,

I'm actually agnostic.

the beauty of TheBrain is its any-to-any linking (any data type / object).
Thus it has as many uses as there are users.

It does have structural constraints which limit its usefuleness in such or such domains. Is all !

I did make my own "wish list" here :

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/what-are-the-three-main-problems-in-using-tb-for-you-6632604

but nobody replied ... ;-)

cheers
enkidu
wordmuse
"but nobody replied..."

Somebody did now... [smile]

I think every user's serious suggestion will likely be born out of a perceived need. Thus in a suggestion box, such as this forum, I think that all such suggestions are good and proper suggestions.  Whether they are good and proper solutions is, of course, another matter. [smile]

I love the pushback with comments like, "What about this?  Have you tried that?"  These essentially become use-cases that broaden my range and depth of understanding about how TB8 can be used.

- Bal
LuizAlfredo
Maybe Zenrain's suggestion for Reports on Notes with Checkboxes, and better if we have options for All, Checked and Unchecked, can be a good approach. An option for Show Indicator for Checkboxes in Notes can also be good.
L.A.G.M.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software