zenrain
I just watched the video and saw the notes on the left side of the screen. Thus far, I thought I was limited to the notes being on the right side of the screen, but if you double-click the splitter (the line between the plex and the notes / attachments area) it will swap sides (left to right or top to bottom depending on your notes orientation). 

Thought I'd share in case anyone else was wondering if this was possible.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
zenrain
Just found out that on restarting TheBrain, the orientation isn't preserved, the Notes/Attachments pane goes back to the right/bottom.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mcaton
Yes, we couldn't fit everything in the video... so you may find little gems like this from time to time.  

I've documented the restart orientation flip/flop issue (technical term)

Thanks,
Matt
zenrain
[smile]
Thanks Matt!
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
perry
I think this could do with some re-thinking?

Say I've got:
[               Plex               ][     Notes     ][    Report    ]

Double-clicking the splitter will produce:
[              Notes              ][      Plex      ][    Report    ]

Where I think I would expect:
[     Notes     ][    Report    ][               Plex               ]
or
[     Notes     ][               Plex               ][    Report    ]

...also, has any thought been given to having a constant splitter between the Notes and Report, with the < and > buttons to control viability? I think I would find that more intuitive than going to the menu to display the Reports panel.
Harlan
The splitter does not move when you double click. This allow you to click it again to switch back. Yes, we are considering ways to make access to reports more obvious in future release.
Regards,
-Harlan
perry
Harlan wrote:
The splitter does not move when you double click. This allow you to click it again to switch back.

Yes, that's what I was referring to: I'm not sure what this functionality is meant to address, but if it was to temporarily make the Notes bigger then it's not intuitive to have them swap sides.

Harlan wrote:
Yes, we are considering ways to make access to reports more obvious in future release.

[thumb]
Harlan
The intended functionality is to make the plex and content area swap sides. [smile]

Some people might like to have the plex on the bottom and notes on top. Same for left/right. This gives them that option.
Regards,
-Harlan
korm
I like the "intended functionality" -- thanks for that. 

In 9.0.84.0 -- I have questions about the implementation of the intended functionality -- see the image.   This is on small real estate -- MacBook Air.  The window is maximized but not using OS X "full screen" in these shots.

It seems that clicking the bar makes the text area take the proportion of the screen that the plex had and vice versa -- if the intention is merely to flip sides, then inheriting the other side's proportions wouldn't be part of that.  No?

The second observation is actually unrelated to this thread -- it just seems curious that as the text pane takes more room by dragging, suddenly it gets a bonus jump of about 15% of screen real estate.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  Just a note -- not something I'd personally use.

[883ZhPq]
perry
Harlan wrote:
The intended functionality is to make the plex and content area swap sides. [smile]

Some people might like to have the plex on the bottom and notes on top. Same for left/right. This gives them that option.

Ah, so a semi-permanent placement. Makes much more sense that way.

I think I read this after requesting functionality to make the notes bigger and smaller (rather than dragging the splitter), so similar to windows' small, normal and big: and I probably got a bit confused.
Harlan
This is working as intended. Sorry, but I just don't understand why you would expect the splitter to move. I do see what you are saying about the proportions. We could make it do that, but wouldn't that be confusing?
Regards,
-Harlan
korm
Harlan wrote:
This is working as intended. Sorry, but I just don't understand why you would expect the splitter to move.

What are you asking?   I didn't say I "expect the splitter to move".  I don't understand why the layout on the left, below, would suddenly include the "sidebar" (what's the name?) on the right, below, as the text panel is opened wider?

[MdVv3Jj] 
Quote:
I do see what you are saying about the proportions. We could make it do that, but wouldn't that be confusing?

Why "confusing".  The feature is meant for the text and plex panels to swap positions.  But why does that cause them to swap the proportions of the screen they occupy?   

[vx3eaA4] 

Note that in TheBrain v8 we can use "Advanced Tools Layout" to move the tools to different positions on the screen without causing any change to the proportion of the screen occupied by the plex.  Moving the tools is not the same action as adjusting proportion of screen size -- those are two separate activities.
Harlan
I see what you are talking about now. Thanks for the screenshots.

The layout of the content area changes from tabs on top to tabs on side when it becomes wider than it is tall. This is not happening because the splitter was double clicked but because the size of the content area has changed. Right now this change is automatic, but perhaps in a future release we could allow the user to decide whether they prefer tabs on top or on the side and make the switch manually. This makes the UI a little more complicated however.

Maybe a context menu in the tabs area with three options? Content Tab Position > 1. Automatic (like it is now). 2. Left. 3. Top.
Regards,
-Harlan
korm
Those three options make sense (top, left, auto).  Personally, I wouldn't change the option once its set unless I moved to a larger or smaller screen.  So, the option could easily be in Preferences > UI, instead of cluttering the tabs area with a rarely-used control.
perry
Harlan wrote:
Sorry, but I just don't understand why you would expect the splitter to move. I do see what you are saying about the proportions. We could make it do that, but wouldn't that be confusing?

I fully accept that this function is working as intended, so no argument here from me [smile]

But, since you ask... If I was swapping the panels around so the notes moved from right side to left side, I would expect the notes panel to maintain the width I'd set (before double clicking).

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software