hasi123

there are so many thoughts that are in triangle connection. 

child thoughts, that are connected to the tought's parent as association. 

do you prevent that? 

for example; do you eliminate such connections if they are really triangle, and let them be, if they are in some bigger connection, as three? 

jbennett
Hello, 

Thanks for posting.  Would you mind clarifying the question a bit?  If you could provide an example with screenshots that would be great.

Thanks.
James
zoner
Wow the original post on this thread doesnt even make sense.
hasi123
sorry.
I made some example, to illustrate that.

I do often think, 'oh, some child thought or some parent thought is also connected with some third thought'. so I link that.
so each of three thoughts is connected with all others.

my question was if there is any tip to prevent that this is so cluttered.

now I think by myself, I would delete the child connections if there are connections between the parents allready. Click image for larger version - Name: 2012-05-15_020534.jpg, Views: 101, Size: 119.78 KB
d_or2000
The only way to avoid this is to have a proper hierarchy of concept, i.e. not link everything with everything.
In your example, literature seems the top category, Theater is a genre of litterature (thus under), Shakespeare is an author of theater (thus under Theater), his plays should be under his name, etc.
Everybody has its own way to categorize and put information in hierarchy, but the principle is to find one's own way in order to avoid linking everything with everything.
SteveZ
Your question is a good one and gets at a bigger issue, which is: When is it good policy to make a link and when is it good policy to ignore a potential link? 

When I was first using TheBrain, I had a tendency to leave no link unmade. As you are finding, this makes for cluttered Brains where the links seem to stop having any meaning. I now try to minimize the links. No thought has more than two or three parents, for example. The types of "triangular" link groups in your example don't provide any value -- in my judgment. At least for the types of Brains I make. I suppose if you were creating a flow chart or concept map, you might need to make those circular connections in some cases. Otherwise, my theory is the fewer the links the better.
Steve
pthompson
hasi123,

Another good way to prevent against "brain clutter" is to make good use of Thought Types and Tags. 

You could completely eliminate the 'Theatre' Thought and make it a Thought Type, instead, and apply it to Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, and possibly Theatre Theory.

Here's a quick example:

I made it so you could see the Thought Types under each Thought. You can see that Romeo & Juliet, Macbeth, and Theatre Theory have the Thought Type, 'Theatre'. I also added the Thought Type, 'Author' and applied this to Shakespeare, for more organization. This, of course, is just one example of how to de-clutter your Brain. There are other ways to achieve more organization in your Brain.

A great resource for organization is a past Blog post, Spring Cleaning: 6 Ways You Can Improve Your Brain.

I hope this helps.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software