pbmember

I've been gone for a time and wanted to reconnect here with all of you who've been so helpful to me in the past. I have two questions, the first of which I've asked before but want to ask again before I write to the Personal Brain people themselves. My 2nd question is new.

(1) I have a few brains and none sync using Dropbox. I also use Scrivener for writing and it syncs well back and forth between my iMac and Macbook. Anyone got any more ideas what the syncing problem with my brains could be? (I've got my brain zips and my .brain and _brain in Dropbox.)

(2) Do you use a PIM (Personal Management Program) in addition to Personal Brain for organizing all your information and why?

MAC User
zenrain
1. When you access the dropbox web interface, are your brain files available there? I'm not sure what would stop them from syncing, and I don't think the folks from TheBrain would be able to help either, as it sounds like a dropbox issue.
Try adding a file into the _brain folder (directly into the folder, not using PB as the medium) and see if that syncs to your other computer.

2. I used to, but a lot of it started to be dual maintenance so I don't any more.
Currently with my Mac I use:
PB - Information management.
Voodoopad - For heavy duty notes and references that can't be handled in PB's notes.
Leap - File managment and tagging.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
pbmember

zenrain, thanks for your reply. I wonder if there's going to be an end or solution to this problem. You're right, it's a dropbox problem so I'd write to them. How do I add a file to a _brain?

Voodoopad....haven't seen that one, I'll go have a look. Have you seen Curio? What a comprehensive program.
MAC User
zenrain
Just open the _brain folder and copy a file in, any file and see if it syncs on the Dropbox web interface and also your other computer.
When you are done testing, just delete that file.

I think I looked at Curio a long time ago, I'll have to take another look.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Bristolview
Brains tend to not sync reliably. Keep in mind, that the brain is not just a file, it is a database system, with multiple records and files.

I use a syncing system that seemed to work, but upon closer review, was losing little pieces of information as time went on. I now sync all of my work information, so it is backed up in real time; all except the brains. Pity, as this puts all data stored in the brains, and the brains themselves at risk.
Cheers,
Bristolview
Darkstar
BristolView,

I back up all my work brains. I do it at the end of the day, and after any truly MAJOR additions. Backing up the brain is easy--- just make a brainzip, and then dump it somewhere.

If you want to backup your brain more often then once a day, I'd suggest doing a brainzip at lunch or, if you need backups more often, at bathroom or coffee breaks. To make this simpler, perhaps you could create a macro or talk the macro-master Dyslucksia into adding it so you can initiate it with one keypress (and have the backup brainzip get an addition of the current date time to its name, so there is no need to "overwrite" an existing one).

Of course, I do have to transfer the brainzip and then open it on the other machines, but it means I have recent backups to go back to under most circumstances---and that has been very useful to me over the years.

And of course--- you can use syncing software. You just can't have it auto-sync throughout the day. Instead, you sync at start/login, and you start the sync/backup AFTER you close down PB. You can sync PB all you like--- so long as it isn't open. It's just unchanging data then.
-Darkstar

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software