zenrain Show full post »
yuryg
Zenrain,

FYI, my message is not aimed at you in particular. I was going to just be silent as I usually am.

The problem is that your message was taken as ... "OH MY GOD! The Sky is Falling". I have not heard of this issue happening to anyone else at this time, so it might be an isolated incident or something relating to your setup, which is no blame on you. 

But a number of people are just going nuts over your very nice post, about your decision.  
mcaton
Thank you everyone for your input.  I'd like to assure you that, while this issue has only happened to an extremely small number of PersonalBrain users, we're taking the matter of problems in the database VERY seriously.  Our entire team of developers are looking into this issue and we remain hopeful that the effected brains will be completely restored.

Thank you,
Matt 
mcaton
Great news to share today.

The cause of this and related corruption issues has been determined. The problem was due to a bug in release 6.0.5.4 from October 29, 2010, which was fixed in 6.0.5.6, six days later. Unfortunately, the problems that this bug caused in the database were not all evident at that time, but we have developed tools to correct these problems in the rare cases that they do appear.

Not only is this a solution to safeguard future brains, but the small number of Brains that were effected are being repaired as well.

Thank you to those that supplied us with copies of their BrainZips, feedback and information that helped us tackle this issue.

Matt

glientsc
Great work and thanks for the explanation! 
Hope this brings zen back on board...
Spacenexus
Good job guys! Sounds like a freak occurance occurance back in October but the fact that you had the processes and capability to track it, sort it out and also effect a solution to any affected brains is impresssive. As always, significant good in terms of learning and experience can come out of having to solve such a problem, making our brains ever safer.

Best

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
zenrain
Thanks for the update Matt, and all the hard work everyone has put in to tracking the issue down.
macOS 10.14.5
TheBrain 10.0.51
SmartDust
"but the small number of Brains that were effected are being repaired as well."

@mcaton,

As you know, I've been impacted by the database corruption.
I have asked you to get access to the tools to repair my database. Unfortunately, I have not yet received any reply on my query.
I can not forward you my brain because it contains confidential information. So I would appreciate recommendations how to fix the mess.

Best Regards

Siegfried
mcaton
Sigfried,

Sorry, the tools for this particular repair can only be used by our developers at this time.  All Brains sent in are treated with strict confidentiality.  Is there any way you could make a copy of this Brain, delete the portions that concern you and then send it in?

Thank you,
Matt  
jroeterd

Will the tools be available in Utility in a later release?

SmartDust
@mcaton, Matt,

Since the integrity of the database is gone, and attachments and notes are randomly crossreferenced/copied and scattered around, removing the sensitive data is impossible because it can sit anywhere and I don't know where because there is no logic in the madness.

Could you explain how you actually can reverse the situation because as far as I know there is no log file that tracked the changes applied during the corruption. It is a random process. So how can you fix this? Some notes have changed thoughts, attachments are crosslinked with random thoughts and can only be removed by deleting both parents first...

Regards

Siegfried
mcaton
Our engineers are reviewing this topic to see if it will be realistic to package up the tools and repair process we used to resolve this issue in some type of special build with detailed instructions. If it is possible, I'll keep you informed of their progress.

Thank you,
Matt
JosefBetancourt
Great that this was resolved!   I'm thinking, is there a system test in place for catching regression bugs?  Especially with databases, there should be a lot of system tests in place before anything is released to the public.  I'm sure you have these, but did this problem add new tests to your suite?

No answer required, just musing....

--- Josef

mcaton
Good news again, our engineers will be adding the tools to repair this issue in an upcoming release

Thanks,
Matt
zenrain
Well, it's been a month, and with a lot of help from TheBrain support, my database has been fixed.
Do I still trust my data and the database? I don't know, that's going to take some time.

What I do know is that people from TheBrain were very responsive. In particular I'd like to thank Matt, Moe, and all the engineers who worked on resolving the issue, and my database.

So, this is where I eat my words. I'm still using the software after all. The decision came down to two things.
1. It's really hard to find a company that has this level of support for it's users, and commitment to the product.
2. There's really no software that works as well with my workflow and how I think. I tried multiple solutions, UltraRecall being the closest one (which I would highly recommend if you are a flat file sorta person, just give it a chance and take the time to work through the manual and the sample databases).

Thanks for everyone's support, both from the community and the company. I really appreciate it. I hope you don't mind if I stick around.

~zenrain

macOS 10.14.5
TheBrain 10.0.51
Moe
zenrain, Thank You for posting. I am glad to hear that you are back to using your PersonalBrain . I'll send your regards to the rest of the team.

Thank You,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software