edlemko
I would be much more enthusiastic trying v11 if it wasn't for 2 things that really bother me.

1.) Expiration date.  I understand why it's there- to get people to improve their version. But this, in my opinion, is very 1990s, honestly. What if someone is underground, in a plane, in mass transit, or in a remote region, or even in a very bad coverage area- their alpha expires, and they can't access their data. No wifi - they're locked out. This, when you are tacitly encouraging users to move to the new version, is not a good idea at all.  Why not treat people like adults and remove the expiration altogether?  People are smart and know that versions improve, and they will move along. But in instances where, let's say, there's a new problem introduced in a new alpha, then one would want to hang on to their version until a couple of newer iterations where their particular issue is solved. You don't allow this right now due to this artificial expiration.  There would be more comfort in trying and helping you, with this new version, were you to modernize this design policy.

2)  Reboot. I tried to install v11 and it asked for a system reboot. What is being put on my system that requires a reboot? Database software, Design software, even I think full Office Suites, they don't require reboots. This, also is slightly off-putting, in a world where security and transparency is a concern. What is v11 doing that is requiring this? Can it instead be designed like most other software, and not force this? Again, this would be a smoother and more user-reassuring way to go.
Harlan

Hello. Thanks for the feedback.

1. The expiry will be removed when the alpha/beta process is over. If you are in a cave or otherwise unable to connect for longer than 30 days (when the app will begin to warn you to update) I’d suggest waiting for the final release. 

2. The reboot is necessary to get the Windows OS to index the new Markdown notes format. You can ignore it, but you won’t be able to search notes until you reboot. This is beyond our control. 

Regards,
-Harlan
edlemko
I think that those who lack reliable connectivity would not find being locked out of their data amusing.
Harlan

Just to be clear, you’re never locked out of your data. The pre-release version of V11 will stop working on a fixed date after a 30 day countdown during which time you can update and get a newer version. if you do not update during that time for some reason and don’t have connectivity you can still access your data via V10.

Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Regarding data access in v10 after working in v11 alpha:
> I thought Markdown notes were not accessible in v10, except as .md (Markdown) attachments
> I also thought there were compatibility issues between Markdown notes (.md files) generated in TheBrain when accessed in other Markdown editors (tables, checkboxes, etc.)

@Harlan ~ Could you please clarify?
Harlan
Yes, they are accessible as attachments in v10. Since MD files are just plaintext they can be opened anywhere. The only change will be that other editors may not interpret everything exactly. For example, justification is not supported by other editors. Once we have a more finalized version of the editor we will release complete documentation of the additions we have made. 
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
👍 Great!

Thanks for confirming, @Harlan.
DavidGretzschel
@Novlemko
1) I think the expiration date is intended as a looming threat for the devs, so that if they don't put out an update, they're gonna break all the tester's stuff. I like it.
Doesn't have anything to do with forcing users to upgrade imo.
2) I'm happy that reboots are getting less common these days, but I don't expect this from anything. I actually rarely trust software enough, that I'd not reboot myself, even if I'm not asked to. Since everything breaks around me, this just keeps me a bit more sane.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software