SteveZ
Hello,

It occurs to me that it would be very helpful if it were possible to have two pinning options on the Plex, one a semi-permanent option, and the other more of a holding pattern option. Here's why: I have my permanent pins, those thoughts I want to have instant access to over and over again. But I'd also like to be able to pin thoughts that I know I'm going to need to reference later today or tomorrow. I don't want to just tag these thoughts, because that will require me actively hunting for them. I want these thoughts to be visible all the time, so that I can't ignore them or forget about them. Yes, I can (and currently do) mingle these with the more permanent pinned thoughts, but this is less effective than I'd like. A work around is to assign a thought type with a bright color, and that helps, but it is not quite the same thing as having two segregated areas of the Plex for these two different functioning pins.

What do others think?
Steve
Spacenexus
interesting idea. how about expanding the pin thought command to a dialogue box with an optional timer: pin thought for x hours/days.

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
SteveZ
@Jim. That could be a useful addition, but doesn't really get at what I'm suggesting. The key to my suggestion is that there would be two discrete areas of the Plex -- which would add context for these thoughts. I could see how this would be useful for GTD implementation, too, as the second pin area could be used to hold next actions.

Anyway, I don't even know if this is doable, or if it would serve anyone else's purpose.
Steve
SamCox
Quote:
... possible to have two pinning options on the Plex, one a semi-permanent option, and the other more of a holding pattern option. Here's why: I have my permanent pins, those thoughts I want to have instant access to over and over again. But I'd also like to be able to pin thoughts that I know I'm going to need to reference later today or tomorrow

Unless or until your two kinds of pins become available, here's a work-around that might work for you. It's not exactly what you're asking for, but close.

Step 1: Create a tag named "PP" (or whatever) that you'll use to tag your permanently-pinned thoughts, then select and tag all your permanent pins with that tag.

Step 2: Now, unpin all your permanently pinned thoughts and pin the "PP" tag itself. To access the permanently-pinned thoughts now takes two steps instead of one: click the pinned "PP", then click the target thought. To permanently pin another thought, just tag it "PP"; to unpin such a thought, untag it.

Step 3: Your pin area is now completely free (except for the "PP" tag) to be used as a thought holding area.

NOTE: Because you can't tag a Tag Thought, this idea works only for normal thoughts. That is, if one (or more) of your permanently pinned thoughts is a Tag Thought, you won't be able to tag it "PP" and get it off the plex.

Just an idea,
-- Sam

Edit: Added NOTE.
StevenMay
I really like the idea of tagging for permanent pins, it'll save space for other pins. I'll use it
StefanoRausch
Excellent idea SamCox, simple but powerful!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software