mikeF
Two questions on tags (preferably in TB7 but even in PB6 will do):

1) Is there a limit to the number of tags you can have in a Brain?  If so, how many?

2) I understand the concept of a tag 'thought' which is the parent of all instances of a particular tag.  However, most often I don't want to see it. I regard a tag as a bit of info I attach to a regular thought.  However, it is fairly easy to inadvertently get the tag's parent thought on the plex, and I can't make it go away!  I now have my plex with several tag thoughts just floating - I can push them to the side, but there must be a way of making them invisible.  What is it?

Thanks

-- Mike

mcaton
Mike,

Thank you for posting.  You can create as many Tags as you'd like.  No limit.

Also, try clicking on Options > Preferences > Look & Feel.  Check the Hide Tag Hints box so that your Tags will not be shown in the plex.

Thank you,
Matt
mikeF
Thanks for your reply.

It is not the tag hints or label I am referring to, but the parent thought of the tag itself.

For instance, I am in expanded view.  I have an active thought which has a tag 'abc'.  I go to the tools section, and click on the 'Tags' tab.  I see a list of all my tags, one of them being 'abc'.  If I click on tag 'abc' (in the Tags window of the tools) then a thought appears on the plex called 'abc'.

This thought 'abc' is a special thought - it has no parent, it has a kind of label icon, and it says of itself 'This is a Tag'.  If I click on it then it becomes the active thought and links appear from it to all my thoughts that have the tag 'abc'.  I can see this would on occasions be very useful.

However, in general I do not want to see the thought 'abc' in my expanded plex, I only want to see the tag 'abc' attached to various regular thoughts.  I know I can turn on and off the tag label or hint on a regular thought, but I am not referring to that, I am meaning the tag as a thought itself.  How can I make it invisible?

Thanks

-- Mike
zenrain
Short answer, no.

Longer answer is that the tag is only visible when you click on the tag directly on the Tags tab. Otherwise it won't be visible in the plex. 
Think of it as a way to view all the thoughts assigned to the tag. I sometimes use a list view when I look at tags as it follows the paradigm a bit better for me.

I'm not sure how you are using tags, but here's a couple of examples from my workflow. I have a frequent thought tag, and I've pinned that tag. When I want to see frequently accessed thoughts, it's just ctrl+1 away, and then I can access it easily without changing it's hierarchy within my database itself (it's not a parent or child thought). I also have an inbox tag for thoughts I want to add quickly and link later, and an interesting tag for, uh, interesting things. I don't use them as part of my main hierarchical structure. 

Not sure if that helps any, but it's worth a shot.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mikeF
Yes, I can see tags are very useful, and there are lots of ways tags can be used.  I like your three ideas, thanks for sharing them.

Quote:
...that the tag is only visible when you click on the tag directly on the Tags tab. Otherwise it won't be visible in the plex.

Yes, my question though is once I have done that action and the tag thought is visible, how can I make it go away?  If the short answer is, as you say, 'no' then so be it.

The only workaround I have found is to save my expanded view before clicking any tag on the Tags tab. Then I revert to my saved expanded view, and the tag thoughts are no longer there, but it seems a bit of a clunky way of making them go away!

I appreciate your helpful posts, by the way, as I browse this Forum.

-- Mike
zenrain
Ugh, missed the expanded view. 
De-select the tag thought (click on another thought to activate it). This will sort of make the tag thought distance itself from the other thoughts. Mouse over the tag thought and you will see a tab at the top of the thought with a -. Click that and it will go away. In my testing it doesn't come back (unless you activate it again). 

A tag thought will always appear when you click on it, so you will have to do this manually each time you want to invisibleate it again.
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
mikeF
Ha ha, yes, very simple now you say it.  That is exactly what I was looking for.

I have played with the little + and - in expanded view for other thoughts, but never considered using it for the tag thought,  because I thought it only applies to the thought's children.  Now I see it applies to any thought in expanded view - if the thought has children showing, the minus will get rid of the children, and if there are no children showing, then the minus gets rid of the thought itself.  Cool.

Thanks so much for solving that!

-- Mike

mcaton
Mike,

In addition, hovering over the collapse button (minus sign) will show you which thoughts will be removed from view if you were to click on it.  The thoughts that will be removed from view will have a line through them.

Thanks,
Matt
mikeF
I see, thanks. It is clearly a well-thought out feature, but needs some learning to grasp it all.  Particularly its use with Tag and Type parent thoughts that most of this thread has been about.

-- Mike

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software