BruceInLouisville
Hello! I've done some searching on this, but most of the answers I see are some years old, so I thought I'd ask again.

Before I get too far into my current project (using TB to do journalism research), I want to ask about gotchas and best practices regarding types, tags, and parent thoughts.

I started out with a thought node called "People," and then linked any people to it. But then, I discovered types and tags. I learned that a node (thought) can only have one type, but I assume it could have many tags. It could also be linked to many other nodes.

So, is it better to have people at type😋erson or tag😋erson or linked to parent😋eople? Are there gotchas involved in doing it one way or another? For example, the "one type per node" limitation.

Will I run into issues doing it one way or another?
BruceInLouisville
Well, I should have previewed. Didn't realize that the editor automatically converts colons into emojis. Ugh.

Those should be "type : Person" and "tag : Person" and "parent : People" in the above.
Cerebrum

Hi Bruce. How are things in LOOuhvul? ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬ ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬ ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚°ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬ ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¸ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬ ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¹ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…“âââ€Ã…¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¬ÃƒÆ’‚°

First, you can edit your original post to get rid of the colons and the emojis. Click on the little arrow/chevron that appears in the top right of your post and select "Edit". (Best to add a comment that you've edited the post.)

Next, take a look at this: How can TheBrain better represent visual data?

Then, this might be helpful: Megabrain Hints & Tips.

Edited: Fixed hyperlinks, several times.

zenrain
I generally use Types denote what the thought is representative of (f.ex a person, or project) and a tag to denote a state (f.ex research, working on, currently etc). 

YMMV, but it's worked well for me. 😊
macOS 10.14.6
TheBrain 11.0.119
BruceInLouisville
Thanks to you both! I'm going to play with it for a while, and see if I can design a system that works for me.

I'm considering using TB to do research for investigative journalism, as a way to organize the multitude of links and cross-story involvements.

Thanks again!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software