StevenMay Show full post »
StevenMay
More thoughts somewhat related to this topic:

There are multiple uses for PB even though they are closely related:

• managing information (obvious)
  • managing actions and projects
  • brainstorming and doing mindmaps and diagrams (actually covers almost all of my needs in this area)

The reason why I want to distinguish those uses is that I've found that it's best to approach them differently.

I've had this realization while I was working on my  Six-Level GTD Model. I was trying to make sure that it's perfectly easy to navigate and get from any point in the Plex to any other part of the model. But then I've realized that it's quite different from basic reference material. 

First of all I can't just list all levels under a single Parent thought as if they were different topics because one level of the model flows into the other. They are all one single and very deep topic. 

Then some goals may branch off into certain Areas of Focus and then into some certain projects which would be connected only by distant Parent thoughts.

And then I realized that I'm really doing actually a very specific mindmap and not simply connecting some related information. And in order for this mind map to really work I need to see the big picture and a little more control over the placement of thoughts would be helpful too.

So once I started approaching this whole thing differently it got a lot simpler... And once I got comfortable with the expanded view and found some easy ways to use thoughts as operators and also different types of links (not needed for this model though) I've realized that 99% of stuff I did in LucidChart/Visio I could do in PB. I could even use AND/OR operators, modeling real-life cause-and-effect with multiple conditions and so on. And it's also really fast to do in PB. 

A big problem is that you can't save expanded views in thoughts as attachments though. Would be cool to launch an expanded view to see a specific mind map for the thought. Let's say I have this thought called "Six-Level GTD Model" and I could expand it into the whole saved view right from the thought itself instead of View Toolbar.

I think I might run into problems if I'm going to be doing hundreds of diagrams in PB and saving them all as expanded views without any categorization... Hmm.. Sure I could save them as images but then I would want to edit them it so...

StevenMay
"A big problem is that you can't save expanded views in thoughts as attachments though. Would be cool to launch an expanded view to see a specific mind map for the thought. Let's say I have this thought called "Six-Level GTD Model" and I could expand it into the whole saved view right from the thought itself instead of View Toolbar."

I've actually implemented this feature (kind of, it's more of a hack )  

mcaton
Steven,

Great feature request.  Be sure to post it on http://thebrain.uservoice.com.

Thank you,
Matt 
StevenMay
Thanks, mcaton. 
Glad you liked this request
This feature is already requested so hopefully it would get natively implemented, however I could not wait and made a script which actually makes it possible to launch expanded views as thought attachments anyway... The link is in my post above

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software