DavidGretzschel
I'm using a functionality in an intended way, so why do I have to go thru an annoying dialog?
This dialog is one, I see way too often, so I'd like to disable it.
How about adding Preference>Behaviour>Content>"Suppress duplicate-dialog"
Also the dialog doesn't have great accessibility (see video).
Also there's a minor visual bug in the middle of recording, that came up randomly.

I'm wondering if Carnac (my keystroke visualizer) or Loom (my recording software) could make TB11 more error-prone. I hope not. If it does though, it really shouldn't.

https://www.loom.com/share/eeca22d2ee0642948ac305464ce9c9d6

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

Harlan
Thanks for the feedback. Why do you want to have the same URL linked multiple times in your Brain? Normally this is not something one would want to do, that is why this dialog cannot be permanently dismissed.
Regards,
-Harlan
DavidGretzschel

Lots of little reasons and no reason in particular.
Some examples:
Because I still make lots of the mistakes with the commands and mix up adding attachments, adding URLs as new Thoughts etc.
Sometimes I just change my mind, whether an URL should be an Attachment to an existing Thought or should be its own Thought.
And when gardening I'm not skilled enough to bring a up Thought two levels above it or do a similarly complicated operation.
It feels like I have to understand some deep lore first to get things done efficiently.
The problem is that I have to learn to adapt to the program, learning its counterintuitive ways.
I have part of those internalized, and it's less of a pain now, but it's still there.
And that some obvious things, like unlinking a Thought involve me having to reach for the mouse. And hitting teeny-tiny lines.
And then hitting the right command on the keyboard.
Or I stumble across an url again, but if I don't remember that I already imported it, I know that it was in the wrong place by definition.
When I want to fix a location mistake, I don't want to delete a Thought, wait till the highlight-cursor stops spazzing out, then do the drag&drop-thing again.
Deletion sucks, if you are in a hurry. I'm always in a hurry.
I don't want the order of fixing my mistake be dictated. And I wouldn't mind it, if I forget to delete something for a while.
At the worst of times, it feels like I'm less human, but some trained circus animal performing tricks.

Lots of reasons like that. This dialog has nagged me dozens of times. Mostly down to lack of skill, which is quite natural for a beginner
and a lot more down to the myriad of accessibilty issues, that make me need to develop a lot of skill in the first place to get things done fast.
You see, if I can't do things fast, I can't do them at all. I'll loose interest.

Also the warning is infuriating, since there's no bad event associated with having the same URL twice in my Brain.
It's yet another thing that forces me to grab the mouse again, when I already made a mistake.
But the mistake wouldn't necessarily have broken my flow, but now it definitely does.

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

Harlan
Got it. FYI, you can unlink a thought via keyboard - use arrow keys to move the keyboard focus ring the thought you want to unlink from the active thought and then use the unlink command. 
Regards,
-Harlan
DavidGretzschel

Ah.... that's how that works. I remember that being buggy once.

Or I could never quite figure out how it worked.
The "works if the highlighted Thought is linked with the active Thought"-part comes completely out of left field. Cause it also works when I hover over a link, unlinking the hovered-link, no matter what the link is connecting.

Description says "remove the selected Link".
I am a man of many skills. Mindreading isn't one of them, though.
I'm facepalming so hard right now.
Ya know what I ended up doing?

When I wanted to remove all parents from a Thought or remove all Jumps, I'd put the mouse-cursor hovering over the exact right position, so that when Link>Unlink took effect, I'd immediately hover over the next link, so I can use the command again. Or rather I tried removing children from parents that way. But it was random to me whether the Plex would show the Parent or the Child.
Ugh....

I'm happy to finally know this and now knowing the way it's implemented, it's even reasonably fast.
Now that I know what it's doing, I can even control which Thought disappears on the Plex, whereas before I was very often frustrated by having to search the one to jump back to it.

Seriously though..... 🙁

--
---
---

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software