DavidGretzschel Show full post »
m16
@DavidGretzschel

I use a very strange setup with my workstation, but I essentially have a Mac Pro for work and a Windows Screen on top of all the monitors with Windows for gaming and other media streaming. Keyboard/Mouse/Clipboard shared with https://www.sharemouse.com/ - Audio shared with a mixer. Vim works pretty well on Windows; however, there are some plugins that are outright not compatible which makes the whole experience a bit 'ugh'. I think that what you want is gVim and then get a vimrc that has the OS specific clipboard configuration - which if I remember should be a single line.

You can also setup Vim with X11 to gain access to the clipboard from a remote SSH session, pretty cool.

Now, re: the idea about using TheBrain only as a Plex and having a third party app load the Note. That sounds pretty good, but from my understanding of it you can kind of already do this with attachments?

I'm not really a fan of having a third party editor for this content, mainly because I really want to easily see it consistently across all the experiences, no variations. And adding that functionality to iOS is out of the question.

Instead, I'd really prefer it if the team at The Brain treated the Note Editor as first class citizen. This is the disease every system out there has, great features around taking notes, but the actual note taking bit is unpolished & unfinished. A very well-known example that suffers of this issue is, and will continue to be, Evernote ( https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/118932-native-markdown-support/ ).

If the editor was a first class citizen and it included a full set of QoL features it would be yet another reason to use TheBrain over any other tool.
I'm new, but you'll see me here often. Probably.
DavidGretzschel
@m16
yeah, kinda possible. It would involve reediting every individual Thought, I already have.
I'll shelve that project for now, anyway and hope that "Notes" gets to be a first-class Attachment and no longer this schizophrenical system-object.

My problems with the notes-editor (which makes me entertain of running into the arms of Vim) are mainly the broken interactions with the focus-highlight.
With first-class keyboard support (which is mostly just all of the numerous bugs being fixed) and I'd be 60% of the way to being content.

dm'd you a Vim question (so that this doesn't get too off-topic)

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

Laptop monitor: 15,6 inch, 1920x1080@60Hz
external monitor: 42.5 inch, 3840x2160@60Hz
(I use one or the other, never both at once)
--
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 256Gb LTE
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 256Gb LTE
---
unless otherwise specified, assume 100% scaling
My videos always show the current time & date (look at Windows Taskbar).
---
How to use TheBrain 11 fast (work in progress)

drruth2
Some ruminations on this entire thread from an old guy.

The Markdown reminds me of Multimate and early WordPerfect where the user had the option of "seeing" code.  There was even a precursor to Multimate that I originally encountered on a Commadore machine.  There was none of the "WYSISWYG", you had to enter command codes for everything.  This sort of feature carried into Multimate and then to Word when Multimate and Microsoft ended up their wrangling, but the requirement to enter code for everything was converted to an option and the casual user was allowed to set margins and other global selections, and then just type.  The ability to opt to "see" codes and enter them became useful once the bulk of text was entered and you were now adding emphasis or seeking out why emphasis was being applied where it was not wanted.  Microsoft was since "hidden' this ability to see codes in recent versions.  It may still be discoverable, but since I've retired I rarely have a need for the really exotic editing.  Plan old text with an occasional bold or italics usually is sufficient.

In many of the posts on this thread the desire to have access to Markdown or hide it is reminiscent of the discussions on the feature codes.  In fact, if the feature codes were assigned special character strings it would come across as Markdown.  If I put myself in the position of TheBrain development team, they are facing the same dilemma as the early word processor developers faced and they will likely end up making choices quite similar to those made by the early word processor developers: option settings for some global features and control code keystroke sequences for other in-line features. 

Meantime, we, the users, will just have to muddle along and hope they don't damage the product too much.
Dennis Ruth, CISSP Retired
Aerospace Scientist
Computer Scientist
Lieutenant Colonel (Ret) US Army
Professor (Ret) National Defense University
 College of Information and Cyberspace
m16
drruth2 wrote:
Some ruminations on this entire thread from an old guy.
In many of the posts on this thread the desire to have access to Markdown or hide it is reminiscent of the discussions on the feature codes.

One of the reasons why having it as plain markdown is good, is because it's that, plain text that you can drop into other platforms which already have markdown or a flavor of it implemented for processing. Hiding the markdown while editing isn't a bad thing as long as it's done as a visual feature rather than an implementation of a much more complicated ( and flimsy ) WYSIWYG* (What You See Is What You Get ... *SOMETIMES ).

There's a lot of tools that consume markdown such as book writing utilities, text processors, content management systems, documentations, communities ( reddit ), etc.

I'm super down for simpler UX and UI, hopefully we can get that without having any compromises with the plain-text status of the notes that we're editing.
I'm new, but you'll see me here often. Probably.
wcm49
To be clear.....I'm not advocating against MD in any way. It's a great thing to have. I would simply "prefer" to be able to toggle it off when desirable while plodding around inside a note.
metta
m16 wrote:
Now, re: the idea about using TheBrain only as a Plex and having a third party app load the Note. That sounds pretty good, but from my understanding of it you can kind of already do this with attachments?
The big problem with not using the internal note editor is that (AFAIK) we can't put internal brain links in 3rd party apps and attachments.

m16 wrote:
I'm not really a fan of having a third party editor for this content, mainly because I really want to easily see it consistently across all the experiences, no variations.
Agree completely -- and, ironically, because the web client note editor does not provide a display that is consistent with the desktop, I may have to resort to an alternative note editing solution for all of my shared brain projects.

m16 wrote:
Instead, I'd really prefer it if the team at The Brain treated the Note Editor as first class citizen. This is the disease every system out there has, great features around taking notes, but the actual note taking bit is unpolished & unfinished. A very well-known example that suffers of this issue is, and will continue to be, Evernote ( https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/118932-native-markdown-support/ ).
Could not agree with you more, @m16 . Admittedly, users here will have differing opinions about what "first class" means, and I applaud TB team's success in already providing a note editor that is significantly more stable and reliable than the editors in TB9 & TB10. However, there is still room for improvement in the note editor when it comes the meeting the needs of a diverse user base. 

m16 wrote:
If the editor was a first class citizen and it included a full set of QoL features it would be yet another reason to use TheBrain over any other tool.
Amen to that! ÃƒÆ’ƒÆ’ƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚°ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¸ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Â¹Ãƒâ€¦Ã¢â‚¬Å“ÃƒÃ‚°Ãƒâ€¦Ã‚¸ÃƒÂ¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¾ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’†ÃƒƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ÃƒÆ’ƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚°ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Â¦ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¸ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’‚¢ÃƒÃ‚¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¾ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÃ†Ãƒ¢â‚¬â„¢ÃƒÆ’¢â‚¬Å¡ÃƒÃ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚
DavidGretzschel

@metta 
I can't use those fancy TexttoThought-links anyway, if I can't follow them via keyboard *grumble*.
But that's a good point.
There's three levels here, it seems:
Text-To-Thought, only works within a Brain
Local URL, only works.... well, I can paste them into a file explorer and they open the Thought
and WebUrl, which works from anywhere
If it would somehow be possible to merge them all into one..... Or maybe merge the first two, somehow.....
not seeing it right now, though

Lenovo Legion Y720 | 32Gb Ram | i5-7300-HQ, 4 cores @2.5 Ghz | GTX 1060 | :{Windows 10 (latest build) |  SSD: Model SAMSUNG MZVLW256HEHP-000L2

--
---
---

DavidGretzschel
re: reflow
there's some ugly text reflow here, because Markdown visibility toggles
between "active Notes" and "not-active Notes".
And the text reflow even causes a tearing issue (which I hope Loom was able to catch).
Highly distracting:
https://www.loom.com/share/91289a52e02c4f1eb74f0cde07bf2947

I was at 3840x2160 at 200% scaling, which might explain the tearing.
Though of course there should be none of that, no matter the scaling.

--
---
---

metta
Confirmed here, as well. It looks like David has simply documented a very basic feature of the note editor, i.e. the note editor editor has to be closed (deactivated) in order to hide the Markdown code.

In other words, in the moment before David hit the Windows key, his cursor had previously been in (and had activated) the note editor. Once he clicked the Windows key, this action simultaneously closed (deactivated) the note editor. Hence, the immediate reflow.

As far as I can tell, this behavior is identical to what happens when you click on the plex immediately after the cursor has been in the note editor.
DavidGretzschel
Yeah pretty much. It's not a bug, it's a feature.
Just a very bad one.
But as @m16 already mentioned:
reflow makes things jumpy, thus very distracting

Wanted to point out an everyday situation where that happens. First time I really noticed it.

--
---
---

metta
👍 Good thing you never used the early version of the note editor in TB9 and TB10 -- In these iterations, the note editor's menu itself also appeared and disappeared when entering and leaving a note!

To this extent, the new Markdown editor is actually much less distracting than previous versions of the notes editor -- but I agree with you: I'm in favor of any improvements that will minimize visual distractions.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software