BrentK
Recently I upgraded to JAVA 1.7.007, and since then I haven't been able to use the drag-drop method to copy files from an Outlook email into TB.  When I drag a file, what I get in TB is a link to the email.

I also attempted to copy files into TB by right-clicking on the file within Outlook and then using Paste File within TB.  However this results in an error message stating "The file '[]' could not be copied."   The [] on my screen is actually a box.

Brent
bmac
I am still able to drag files from outlook into the Plex or the thought folder.  My Java version updated to the day is 7.0 .70 .10.
Bill
customized Desktop PC (Haswell i7 4770 3.4 gHz with 32 GB RAM), Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 256 GB SSD,  and a Microsoft Surface Pro 6, Windows 10, 512 GB SSD, 16 GB ram, i5
pthompson
I have just test this and it is working fine using the latest version of Java, Outlook 2010, and latest version of TheBrain.

If you are having trouble dragging and dropping, please make sure you are using both the 32-bit version of Outlook and TheBrain OR the 64-bit version of Outlook and TheBrain. Both applications need to be the same "bit-version" or drag and drop will not work. If you have checked this and are still having trouble, this usually indicates a problem with your redemption.dll, usually caused when Outlook is still running during the installation of TheBrain. This can, typically, be resolved via re-installation of TheBrain while Outlook is completely closed. If you have already tried that and it still isn't working, you can manually add the redemption.dll within Outlook. To do this:

(From Outlook) go to (File > Options > Add ins > Manage COM Add-ins > Go... > Add > ...) and select the redemption.dll file that (for most installs) resides in (C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain\bin)

BrentK
I'm still on XP (so everything is 32bit), and I didn't reinstall either Outlook 2007 or TB 7.0.4.5 before this problem began. 

I went ahead and removed the redemption file from Outlook, stopped Outlook, reinstalled TB, started Outlook (confirmed the redemption file was there), and then tested drag-drop.  The results were the same -- instead of getting a copy of the file in TB, I get a copy of the email.
BrentK
This morning I uninstalled/installed Java 7...problem still existed.  Then I uninstalled Java 7 and installed Java 6...problem circumvented.  This seems to point to an incompatibility between TB7 (on XP) and Java 7.
pthompson
Brent, 

As I mentioned above, please try manually adding the redemeption plugin via Outlook. In Outlook 2007, this can be done by following these steps:

1. In Outlook 2007, go to (Tools > Trust Center)
2. Click on the Add-ins section
3. You will now see all active, non-active, and disabled add-ins. Click on the add-in you want to enable/disable and then click on the Go button towards the bottom.
4. This will then open up the COM add-ins page. You can then add and select the redemption.dll file that (for most installs) resides in (C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain\bin)
BrentK
Patrick, I did do that as well, but since I described a process in which the Redemption add-on was removed and then re-added, I didn't bother stating that I also manually removed and re-added it. 

Has drag-and-drop been tested in-house on a workstation that also has XP, Outlook 2007, TB7 and Java 7?

Click image for larger version - Name: 09-07-2012_8-40-31_PM.png, Views: 1628, Size: 68.44 KB Click image for larger version - Name: 09-07-2012_8-42-48_PM.png, Views: 1617, Size: 7.93 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: 09-07-2012_8-43-49_PM.png, Views: 1616, Size: 3.86 KB
pthompson
Brent,

Have you manually added the plug-in after re-installing TheBrain7? Un-installing/re-installing does not guarantee that the plugin was added successfully.
BrentK
Patrick, my previous reply to you, in which I said "I did do that as well" was confirmation that I did what you'd asked.  So, yes, I've manually removed and added the plugin...many times and in every conceivable combination. 

I'll send a copy of the output.log via email.

(Ticket
21807 was created.)

mctrexler
Patrick, how do you tell whether you have 32 or 64 bit Brain installed?   I'm not sure I'd realized there were alternative versions.  
pthompson
mctrexler,

TheBrain will say 64-bit on the splash screen if you are using 64-bit. It will not display any bit information, otherwise.

mctrexler
Well 64 vs 32 isn't an issue then.  But I did just go and add the redemption.dll add-in from the brain directory, re-started Outlook and the Brain, and it worked!   I now do seem able to drag emails again into the Brain!  
BrentK
I upgraded to java 7 again and, just like before, I'm unable to drag a file from Outlook into TB.  (Same symptoms as before.)  The reason I tried this again is that my workstation's OS is now Win7.  Before upgrading to java 7 I was using java 6 on Win7 and drag-drop worked.

1. Both Outlook 2010 and TB are 32 bit
2. I manually removed the redemption dll from Outlook and readded it.
3. No I have not uninstalled/reinstalled TB. 

Obviously TB has an issue with java 7, whether it be on XP (my previous OS) or Win7 (my current OS).  So I need to either upgrade to a version of TB that does work (on my machine...), or configure TB to use java 6 instead of 7.  (I still have java 6 installed too.)  Since there haven't been any updates/patches to TB since 7.0.4.5 (my current version) I assume that there's no fix for this.  If there is, great, let me know.  But if there isn't, can I configure TB to use java 6 while leaving java 7 installed?

artcanadianstyle
I purchased a new computer that had Windows 8 (64bit) but I am using outlook 2007, which I was hoping would still be compatible with TheBrain 7.
I used to be able to drag and drop contacts and email, but although I see the files being dragged, when I drop them nothing is there.  
Could it be the version of Windows that is causing this?
pthompson
Art,

This can, typically, be resolved via re-installation of TheBrain while Outlook is completely closed. If you have already tried that and it still isn't working, you can manually add the redemption.dll within Outlook. To do this:

1. In Outlook 2007, go to Tools > Trust Center
2. Click on the Add-ins section
3. Click on the Go button towards the bottom.
4. Click on Add and select the redemption.dll file that (for most installs) resides in (C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain\bin)

If you are still having trouble, please feel free to contact support directly at support@thebrain.com or support.thebrain.com

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software