mikesingleton
I finally decided to import a zip of my main brain 8 into 9.0.101.0 and it will not import. I get a "brain has encountered an error and will close" message.

I was able to import a small brain (20Mb) and also a folder to create a new brain. I can also create new brains, but no joy with importing my main brain. About 15 seconds after selecting the brainzip file the error message pops up and the brain closes [frown]

Brain size 775Mb Windows 10 'Anniversary Update' (latest) version.

pthompson
mikesingleton,

Are you able to share this Brain with at support@thebrain.com?
howardrv
I had this same problem with earlier version of TB9.  With the latest version, I can create a brainzip of my TB8 brain, which is large, save it to a folder and then import into TB9.  
Howard
Harlan
Mike, please send us a zip of the Error Logs folder, which will tell us what went wrong. (To support@thebrain.com) You can find it by going to the Help menu and asking it to open the logs folder.
Regards,
-Harlan
mikesingleton
Logs sent, thanks Harlan.
Mike
mcaton
Thank you Mike.  I see you spoke with Patrick today about these log files.  I'll collaborate with him and the developers on this issue and keep you posted with what we find.

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
Hi Mike,

The problem is that one of the files contained in your brain has a very long filename. Windows has a 260 character maximum length for filenames, and when these files are being extracted for import, they are hitting the limit, causing the import process to fail.

Please use a tool to find the to find the files in your _brain folder that are very long, rename them in TB8, then recreate the BrainZip. A quick Google of the topic lead me to the following tool, which looks pretty good although I haven't tried it: http://pathlengthchecker.codeplex.com/ (I am on a Mac right now so I can't test it out)

It is also possible that a direct import of your Brain (without using a BrainZip) may circumvent the issue. However, I would recommend that you find the long filenames and shorten them as it could lead to other problems in the future (not just for TheBrain, but for other software that may need to access those files, such as backups and other applications).

Another possible solution would be to do the import on a Mac, but I suspect that is not a viable option for you.

In the next release of TB9, it will use a shorter initial path while doing the file extraction, making this less likely to happen although still possible. If it does happen, it will detect it and report it instead of crashing, but you will still need to solve the problem manually unfortunately. It is a little sad that Microsoft has been unable to overcome this problem in 2016 - our hands are mostly tied by the outdated filesystem.

Regards,
-Harlan
mikesingleton
Thank you Harlan, I had four  files which were over 200 characters so I re-named or deleted them. I did not have any over 240 characters.
I then zipped my brain, and imported it into the brain 9. The import worked perfectly so the problem solved.

Thanks again, it was satisfying to have a speedy resolution to this problem.
Mike
Harlan
Great news. You're welcome and thanks for reporting the issue.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software