danlandrum

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wanted to write this down to clarify my own understanding. I'm using Sierra, but assume it is similar with Windows. 

- Dragging a folder from the finder onto the plex does not by design import a folder or its contents. It does, however momentarily show the green plus sign which typically indicates a file is being added. I think this is a function of Sierra, not TB9. The plus sign goes away once TB9 has become the frontmost window. TB9 does not, otherwise, respond to this action.

- Importing an empty folder via the file menu creates a thought with the folder name. It does not delete the original folder. 

- Importing folders containing only other folders (no files) creates thoughts with the same hierarchy as the folders. It does not delete the original folders. This is good for template creation.

- Importing folders containing files and other folders creates thoughts with the same hierarchy as the folders, plus adds files to appropriate thoughts as attachments. The files are not deleted from the original folders. This is not effected by preferences/UI/content settings. 

I like the way this works now that I've tested and understand it.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Harlan
danlandrum wrote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I wanted to write this down to clarify my own understanding. I'm using Sierra, but assume it is similar with Windows.

Yes, folder functionality is the same on Windows and macOS.

danlandrum wrote:
- Dragging a folder from the finder onto the plex does not by design import a folder or its contents. It does, however momentarily show the green plus sign which typically indicates a file is being added. I think this is a function of Sierra, not TB9. The plus sign goes away once TB9 has become the frontmost window. TB9 does not, otherwise, respond to this action.

For 9.0.136, that is correct, but it is a bug. This has been fixed for 9.0.137. Dragging a folder will attach it, just like a file. The default action on drop is set in preferences and can be to copy, move, or link to the original file.

The rest of your description of how the File > Import > Folders functionality works is correct. Everything under File > Import always makes a copy, never modifying the source data.

Regards,
-Harlan
danlandrum
That's great news. Thanks, Harlan. It gives us the best of both worlds.
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software