wordmuse
I had to uninstall the current release of TB9.  It interfered with the successful loading of TB8. When I uninstalled TB9, TB8 loads just fine.

Windows 10 machine

- Bal
pthompson
Bal,

Can you please describe how you originally installed TheBrain 9? Did you change the install location? We specifically built TheBrain 9 installer so it does NOT interfere with TheBrain 8 so I am very interested in what was done to cause this.
wordmuse
I just ran the installer without any changes to its default. It installed in the c:\Program Files (x86)\ folder.

I will try again on the next build. And next time, I'll also, as a best practice, create a restore point. Thankfully, when I uninstalled TB9, TB8 worked fine. But I was worried for a minute. A restore point should handle this kind of worry, yes?

- Bal
pthompson
Bal,

I'm not quite sure what you are saying the issue is now. You originally said TheBrain 8 would not load but in your second reply you mentioned that TB8 worked fine. TheBrain 9 does install into the same directory as TheBrain 8 if your Brain 8 directory is the default C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain, but it installs into its own folder, TheBrain 9
Spacenexus
It may be a daft point, but I certainly changed the default TB9 folder to NOT be installed in my TB8 folder. For my part I would prefer a default top level installation C:\Program Files (x86)\TheBrain9Previewor something like that.

Thanks

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
wordmuse
Sorry for any confusion.

First - TB8 is in a non-default location. As long as TB9 doesn't search for the TB8 folder to install itself there, it should be tucked away, safe and sound. I'm slow, but I have learned a thing or two over the years.

Now - the sequence went like this.

- I visited the download page and downloaded TB9.
- I installed it in the TB9 default folder - and verified it to be other than the TB8 program folder.
- I played around with TB9 for a bit and saw that it was interesting but certainly not ready for real use.  Part of this exploration involved me importing an existing TB8 brain, which went off without a hitch, BTW.
- I closed the program and restarted TB8.  The program seemed to load fine, except the plex never fully loaded. Instead was a floating status message saying something like "Loading."  Parts of the window, other than the working area in the plex did load. The panels (Notes, Search, Reports, Tags, Types), the menu and toolbar at the top, the combo search/create box - these all loaded fine. But not the working area of the plex.
-I uninstalled TB9 and tried running TB8 again.  This time, it worked fine. 

So that's the sequence. Let me know if you need further elaboration.
- Bal
wordmuse
An update: The problem surfaced again, and I don't have TB9 installed. So assuming that the installation didn't do anything at a deeper level, then it could not be the problem. So I think you can scratch this off as an issue. 

But I did notice something. TB8 was working for a long time to integrate changes between the local version and the server. It seemed to hang. Does TB8 integrate the changes before it fully loads the plex? Are you guys doing things with your servers as you work on what I think is intended to be a seamless transition to the TB9 servers?

I'm not technically adept, so I don't know if my questions even make sense. Just wondering aloud.

- Bal
wordmuse
I just tried the latest iteration of TB9 preview, and I am happy to report that this is no longer a problem. So now I can actually start trying to use TB9.

- Bal
mcaton
Great to hear!  Thanks for the update and happy testing.

Thank,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software