gpatten
Bought TB7 today. Was interested to discover—on the invoice—that my Pro license only buys me updates until August 20, 2012. Has anyone noticed this date, or this specific time period (thirteen weeks), anywhere in the info about the Pro license on the TB website? I'm not saying this is a bad deal—it may be quite generous—but you would think, would you not, that it is the kind of information that ought to be made available to the buyer before purchase, not after. Still, if I've simply overlooked it, and it is out there somewhere, I'm happy (and waiting) to stand corrected.
pthompson
Glenn,

If I'm not mistaken, it should actually say 'Free Upgradesuntil 08/20/2012. This is different than updates. A Brain 7 Pro License includes all Minor Updates for the life of the version, i.e. TheBrain 7.0.4.1 to 7.0.4.2. It does not, however, include Major Updates 7.0.4.1 to 7.1.0.0 or Major Upgrades TheBrain 7 to TheBrain 8 after the date indicated in your invoice.

In other words, any updates that occur to TheBrain 7, including bug fixes and minor changes, will be free and included with your Pro License continuing on past the specified date. The cutoff date mentioned only applies to Major Updates and Upgrades.

gpatten
You're right, it says "upgrades", not "updates". It hadn't occurred to me that there might be an important difference. That's fair enough, though, and I really have no problem with the fact of how TB is being sold, with the cut-off date and everything. My issue is just that that date, it seems to me, needs to be made explicit in the information available to a potential buyer before purchase, not something that he or she discovers only afterwards.
pthompson
Glenn,

Thanks. I'll share your feedback with the rest of our team. We appreciate it.
Harlan
Glenn,

If you buy the combo package, you get a full year of upgrades free. If you buy the license only version, it's 90 days of free upgrades from the date of purchase. This is to protect buyers of the license only version - so even if a major new version comes out you within that timeframe you don't have to pay again since you just bought. The store page says "Free minor updates. Does not include cloud services and upgrades between versions," so actually those 90 days are really a "bonus".

Thanks for your feedback.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software