markout
Help - I have just upgraded to 5.0.2.4 and as a result have lost all attachments and URLs in my Brain. Nightmare - anyone else have a similar issue?

Mark
The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train.
Moe
Hi Mark, Thanks for the post.  Upon upgrading you should not be loosing URLs or attachments.  I know it's silly to ask, but what was the method you used when you upgraded, did you simply install 5.0.2.4 then open your .brain file and noticed URLs and attachments were gone?  Can you run a report for URLs and attachments and see if perhaps they are in your Brain but not showing up.  You can run a report by going to the Reports tab, then selecting URLs in the third drop down box from the right. You can do the same thing for attachments by selecting the type of attachments such as .doc files etc.

Best regards,
Moe

markout
Well that was interesting. Opened Brain again. No attachments or URLs showing. So ran report as you suggested. Not only did it show all attachments and URLs but this action 'revived' the URLs and attachments in the thoughts as well. Relief is overwhelming emotion....thanks. Not sure end result was what you intended but it worked. Now backing up furiously!

Thanks
markout

Spoke too soon - it is an intermittent problem not solved by reboot and reinstallation. Report shows all URLs and attachments are there but they are not showing in the thoughts except intermittently. Sometimes children of one thought show the details including web icons but more often not. Not clear what problem might be - thoughts anyone?

Moe
If you hover over the Thoughts you know contain attachments and URLs do they then show up and stay?

Best regards,
Moe

hughdrbf

Moe wrote:
...I know it's silly to ask, but what was the method you used when you upgraded, did you simply install 5.0.2.4 then open your .brain file ...

Moe, this is something I've been wondering about - reason is that I can see different behavior between brains created in earlier versions than those I've created in later versions. With each dot release I have simply closed PB, installed over the existing version, and upon starting the new version I find that it has found my pre-existing brains and automatically opens the one that was open at last close of PB.

Is this the preferred method, or another?

Thanks.

Hugh
Moe
hugh, sorry to confuse you by my question to Mark.  Yes, the method you described is correct for upgrading from release to release. Simply install the newest release then open you .brain file.  There is no other method. The reason why I asked Mark this question was to see if he had moved files around before opening his .brain file.

Best regards,
Moe

markout
Moe

I answer to your question - no does not come up with either the icon or the link/attachment when hovered over or clicked. Same error is occurring on other brains as well. Wondering whether a complete Brain uninstall and reinstall is going to be the next step. For instance at the start of writing this I had run the reports on links and they had reappeared. I have just rechecked and I have lost them all again. A search for one item then 'reappeared' them all. Have just asked it to rebuild search index as well and got the response that some items appear to be missing do I want to rebuild the index..done that and no joy. Same problem.

Although have added one new link to see what happened and that is persistent.

Hmmmm....?

Mark
Harlan
Mark,

My guess is that the problem you are experiencing is actually a display update problem - all of the data is there, but there is a problem during it's display which is preventing it from showing up... Next time the information "disappears", please post the output.log file located in the PersonalBrain program folder and we should be able to ascertain the cause.
Regards,
-Harlan
markout
Harlan

Thanks will do - however when I try and do an export to a sitebrain HTML with the attachments/URLs they do not transfer - thoughts only come over. Do not think it is a display issue. Log attached

Mark
Harlan
Mark,

OK, unfortunately there's nothing in the log. Can you send a BrainZip to support@thebrain.com?
Regards,
-Harlan
Darkstar
You lost attachments? Have you checked the thought folders themselves?

Were you using sync software? USB drive on a system with lots of USB devices (and/or drives)? These are ALL known causes for lost attachments.

Is the FavIcon lost? That isn't unusual for PB. I've noticed that it occasionally just "loses" the HTML or FavIcon after extended us. Mousing over them will "refresh" the thought and it will then show the correct Icon.

Does the web sites you "lost" have FavIcons that PB just cannot display? I've noticed that several websites I frequent have FavIcons that PB cannot display, so it will show those sites as being an URL, then it will "lose" that particular URL's icon when it gets finished doing whatever it is that it does to grab the favicons. The Properties and Folders attachments shows the URL is still present, and activating the thought causes my web browser to open the correct page.

Just curious...
-Darkstar
Darkstar
They should have still been listed in the database. How would it erase all those rows of data? Very weird.

Someone reported something similar with URLS and Attachments earlier in the year. IIRC, they generated a report, and then all those "missing" URLS and Attachments reappeared in their brain.

Seems easier to just restore your brain from a brainzip. Do you make them daily?
-Darkstar
markout
An update - still got the same problems. All attachments and URLS are still there and appear on a Report run. Just not appearing in brain. Neither are the favicons. Right click on any thought with a URL or attachment and select properties - no attachment or URL shown in properties.

Back to report. Select any URL in the list and the relevant thought centres. Now all linked Thoughts or thoughts in same group have their favicons showing and when checking Thought properties the attachment or URL is now there. Close reports and click off it then back on and its gone again.

Oh well - did send the zipped brain but not had a reply

Moe
Hi markout, thank you for the post.  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. We are in the process of looking into the issue.  I will get back to you via email as to the findings and next steps to take to recover from this.

Best regards,
Moe

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software