Harlan
Java 6 on Mac OS for Intel based machines is now available and is generally installed automatically by Mac OS Software Update. It fixes various problems, most notably the in-ability copy and paste images into PersonalBrain. This is highly recommended for all Mac OS PB users.

To install:

* Set Java 6 to be the default for running applications: Open Java Preferences via Spotlight and set Java 6.0 to be used instead of 5.0 (Under the "Java Application Runtime Settings", drag and drop Java SE 6 so that it is above J2SE 5.0).
* If you don't see Java 6 in the list of options, you need to do a Software Update and install the Java update. (Apple menu > Software Update)
* Restart PersonalBrain.

You can verify you are running Java 6 by checking PersonalBrain > About PersonalBrain. Below the PersonalBrain version number, it should say: J-1.6.0...

Regards,
-Harlan
ibsteve
Hi Harlan,

What about PPC?

Steve
zenrain
Note that Java 6 for Mac is only for 64 bit Intel machines. The first Core Duo releases of the intel processor are 32 bit and not supported.
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to currently run PB on 6.0 for the 32 bit machines, SoyLatte is only for X11 applications and doesn't have Cocoa bindings.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
ibsteve
Thanks Zenrain,

I had a feeling that was the case. Could you or Harlan give me an idea how this will effect using PB on a PPC under Java 5?

Thanks,
Steve

Quote:
Note that Java 6 for Mac is only for 64 bit Intel machines. The first Core Duo releases of the intel processor are 32 bit and not supported.
As far as I'm aware, there is no way to currently run PB on 6.0 for the 32 bit machines, SoyLatte is only for X11 applications and doesn't have Cocoa bindings.
zenrain
PPC and non 32 bit Intel machines still have to run Java 5 which has really really big problems with copy\paste.
Namely that only plain text is pasted in notes, meaning no formatting, no images. I believe there's also an issue pasting in images for the thought icons. I think there's a workaround floating around in this forum, at least one easier than pasting the image into the thought folder.

Until either Apple releases a Java 6 update that I can use, or PB finds a workaround or implements further mac features this is a deal breaker for me as far as mac usage. It's just too much work getting information into it as compared to some Mac only PIM's.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan

If Java 6 is not available on your Mac, you can also switch to Java 1.4, which does not have the copy and paste problems that 1.5 does under Leopard. Sorry, this is beyond our control - please send a message to Apple and ask them for broader Java 6 support

Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
I tried doing this on OSX 10.5.3 with PB 1.5 (0 and 1) and PB didn't start using Java 1.4. It just stalled at the splash window. Would someone else test this and let me know if it's just me?

Thanks!
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Harlan
Sorry, the older 4.1.X releases do not support Java 1.4. You must upgrade to the 4.5 beta in order to use Java 1.4.
Regards,
-Harlan
Acoustic_Ruby
Sorry for the long post here but...

I sent and email to support on Sept 8th regarding this very copy/paste Thought icon issue. It was escalated to level 2 and I heard back from them on 9/11 asking for my output log after trying a copy/paste attempt. I sent my output log to them on 9/11 and heard back from them today, 9/15 letting me know that I was running a older version of Java and requesting that I update it.

After looking for the latest version of Java and wondering why SW Update hadn't installed, I learned that my Intel-based Mac 10.5.x isn't supported by Apple yet for Java 6.

Two questions:

1. How is it that Support is not aware of this issue? A lot of time in exchanged email and follow-up with Support could have been saved here. Please save time for the next Mac calling in.

2. If this is a known issue, why isn't the company making a better effort to inform Mac users who are evaluating this program? Where is the notation of this in the system spec requirements on the download page?

Some of us who kicked the tires a little harder during the free trial phase have discovered this issue but those who may find this feature important later may not be very happy with the their purchase when the realize there is no fix for this at the moment. This is a very significant issue for the licensed version.

I can't figure out if you simply don't have a significant enough Mac user base to warrant proactive time and attention to the matter or whether WinTel platform in general just gets more love.

Your current and future Mac customers deserve to be informed. I'm a tad bit disappointed in Harlan's reply on June 4th.

"If Java 6 is not available on your Mac,..."
"Please send a message to Apple..."

TheBrain needs to be more proactive on this issue and they sound reactive.

Shouldn't the company know what versions of Java are supported for running their software on the platforms the company itself sells software for?

Okay, I can understand requesting users to send Apple a message about the Java support.

But where's the reply from the company about what Apple informed them about the issue?

Yes, I believe the company (TheBrain Tech) should have inquired themselves about the issue when the found out about it thereby positioning themselves with a reasonable response for customers in this thread based on their own investigation into the issue and which, by this action, would have also demonstrated a proactive interest in how their Mac user base is being affected by this.

Sounds to me like no one really knew that Java 6 was 64bit only. I think the company should have known better.

Please take my remarks as constructive. Your software is wonderful but isn't cheap and that's not saying that it should be. I for one am willing to pay the price to play and I see great value in this innovative software solution but seriously, I should not have had to take the long route with support and then Google and then finally hit your forums to determine this is a big issue.

Acoustic_Ruby

Harlan
Acoustic_Ruby,

FYI, we have updated PersonalBrain so that issues with copy/paste have been resolved regardless of what version of Java you are using.
Regards,
-Harlan
zenrain
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Acoustic_Ruby
Thanks Harlan,

I've been away for the last week but I did update to the 4.5.1.4 release which didn't help me at that time before I left. However, Apple just released a Java update this morning that fixes the problem on my MacBook Pro running OS 10.5.5 Leopard.

So it looks like (after some further usage to verify the extent of the fix) I just may be able to pull the trigger on a purchase after all. :-)

Acoustic_Ruby

Quorcork
Just for clarification:

Even the latest Java Update for Leopard still does not allow running JDK 1.6 on 32bit Intel or PPC machines.

Looking at the time that has already passed i'm pretty sure that apple does not plan to bring a JDK1.6 release for 32bit Intel/PPC (This is my personal assessment, however). So it's Soylatte (for shell based Java apps) or a new computer for us if we need JDK1.6 ...

Cheers
Silvan
Quorcork
Does anybody have the same issue with JDK 1.6 / PB 5.0.3.6 / MacOS 10.5.7 as i described here:
http://thebrain.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=3537788&pid=34182160#post34182160

Cheers
Silvan

PS: Yep, i upgraded to a 64bit machine some time ago und have been running PB with JDK1.6 since then. ;-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software