asexymind
A number of people have mentioned this, but I wanted to give it its own thread, and explain the step by step process of how it works. You can use other services like LiveMesh (which I hate after crashing my system far too many times...) or other auto/sync backup programs using the same simple method.

http://GetDropBox.com for the free version of the program - 2GB, which is plenty of room for my 5000 thought brain with hundreds of word docs, low res pics, and mind maps inside it. (500mb)

1) You choose folder X on computer A's (your home computer) hard drive.
1a) put your brains in that folder.
2) DropBox automatically and continuously makes copies of any files you place/update/create in the assigned folders to a remote server. (pretty much real time - a minute or two if the files are small).
3) install DropBox on a second (or third, or 10th) computer B, and set it to sync to folder X. Any time a change is made to any files in folder X on either computer, it will get transfered to DropBox, then transfered to the other machine.

Voila! You are done. Now, when you make changes to your brain on one computer, it will automatically be transferred to the other computer, with a few minute delay (assuming both computers are connected to the internet. Otherwise, you will have to wait until they connect.)

IMPORTANT - only have one brain on one computer open at a time! You get some weird errors if you keep them both open and make changes to one of them... NOT GOOD BRUNO! Danger Will Robinson, Danger. AND, if you only keep one open, it works like a charm.

Hint for serious syncers:
1)  if you link to files rather than put them in your brain, store your brains AND the folder system for any documents that your brain links to [that are not "IN" your brain] in the dropbox folder.
This keeps the "links" in the same relative path to the brain.
2) Ideally, put your dropbox folder is in the same location in the folder tree on both computers. This addresses the "absolute file location" issue that sometimes comes up when syncing between computers. example: if you put the folder on your root drive, such as C:/DropBox, you don't have to worry about having different user names on each computer.

Last, as other's have stated, DropBox has a versioning system, so if you want to find a file that was deleted on both machines, you can check your history...(within certain limits, of course).

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
zenrain
Assign new brain GUID is for the Webbrain service, so you can disassociate brains with the online version. 

Edit: There's also some information on Dropbox syncing on the PersonalBrain Users google group.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
melitabel
I already have Dropbox installed on both machines.  Are you saying I can store my brains permanently in the Dropbox folder?  Won't I have to tell the program where to look for them?  If so, how do I do this?

Or do I copy the brain I have been working on into the dropbox folder on the machine I am using (office) and then copy it out to the My Brains folder on the other machine (home) when I want to use it there?

Sorry to be so dense.

Less judgement, more curiosity
zenrain
First, make a brainzip.
Then close PersonalBrain.

Now, move your .brain file and _brain folder from the existing folder to your dropbox folder. Only do this at one location (don't do it from both home and office).

Now, dropbox do it's thing until files are sync'd to the website (the toolbar icon will have a green checkbox).

When you get to your other location, start dropbox and let it sync. Once again, you'll know it's done by the green check box).

Now, open PersonalBrain and choose File > Open Brain. Browse to your Dropbox folder and choose the .brain file.

One thing to remember, never ever have PB open on both computers at the same time. Always close PB before you go home and sync your files on your other computer.

I've taken to starting dropbox at work in the morning, letting it sync and then stopping it until I'm ready to leave for the day. Then I shut down PB, turn Dropbox back on, and sync. Then I shut down Dropbox and go home.
At home, I turn on drobox, and let it sync. Then I shut it down, start PB and in the morning, shut PB down, start dropbox, let it sync then turn it off.
I find this way there are no mistaken file sync issues. Regardless if you decide to just leave dropbox running all day or use my steps, make frequent Brainzips. This way you will always have a backup. Also, if you do follow my steps above, if you are ever in doubt if you left PB and dropbox running at the other location by mistake, you can always make a brainzip before activating dropbox, for an additional layer of security.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
melitabel
Thank you so much, this is exactly the kind of clear, step-by-step directions I need.
Less judgement, more curiosity
danlandrum
For what its worth, I've been using DropBox to sync between my desk and laptop computer for a few months now.  It has worked flawlessly, and it makes me trust PB with my real data even more. DropBox serves as a kind of instant backup. 

I don't store files in my Brain, so the synchronization is usually complete within a couple of seconds of quitting PB. I'm in the habit now of checking the DropBox menubar icon to quickly see if I can sleep, or shutdown the machine.

from this combo DropBox/Personal Brain user.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software