obrugman
Hello, just to share my use of The Brain:

I use The Brain for my personal knowledge mapping for complex content, with different knowledge views and levels that are impossible to combine in table or hierarchical format. I also use Evernote as document repository, since EN allows me to share individual notes (EN speak, i.e. Thoughts in TB speak) with contact, to receive content automatically from social media and web searches through IFTTT, and to annotate embedded pdf files. Also, EN lets me put content faster into its repository than The Brain Box allows me to do, and in many cases the EN lets me find specific content faster in a more user-friendly format (tabular). Needless to say that TB is much better in visualizing connections. Knowledge link mapping in TB has advantages, although it is often a time-consuming process. Finally, information security and tool risks (we never know whether EN or TB will preserve current solutions, I use the following workflow to arrive a robust knowledge repository that contains my personal view of linking content (network-based) while also solving backup and independence issues.
  • Find a file or webpage on the internet (articles, reports etc)
  • Download the file as to computer or cloud service (e.g. iCloud Docs)
  • Open Evernote:
    • Include the file or link into and Evernote Note and store the note.
    • Create a sharing link of the note in Evernote
  • Open TB:
    • Create a thought where the content is going to go
    • Paste the sharing weblink to attach it to the Thought.
    • Optional: attach the computer- or cloud-stored file as well (I have my personal motives for sometimes storing and sometimes not)
    • Optional:Link Thought to other relevant thoughts, use Type or Tag classification if needed.
  • When not at my computer but on mobile devices, or if I encounter interesting web content while browsing, I tend to add the weblinks encountered to the Brain Box,  fo later review and processing, using the same procedure.
My current main brain I apply this content too has 1550 thoughts and 2600 thought links and is used to map and organize unstructured content, referencing lots of reports, articles, geographies.
Tools: The Brain | Evernote | DayOne | Ayoa | iMindMap | Omnigraffle | OmniOutliner | Ulysses | Scrivener |
ruudhein
NIce workflow, especially:

Quote:
Finally, information security and tool risks (we never know whether EN or TB will preserve current solutions, I use the following workflow to arrive a robust knowledge repository that contains my personal view of linking content (network-based) while also solving backup and independence issues.

I use double entry/double system as well. More future proof.

I'll generally enter "how to's" in TB first, then copy thought + notes, paste it into Dynalist.

Web content gets automatically backed up to Dropbox via a flow of Instapaper → IFTTT → Feedly → Dropbox.

I've also toyed with a txt dump of recent thoughts for a while. Run them through UltraEdit to format them a bit differently, then add it into Evernote. Not bad but clutters my searches there.
Using: Evernote | Filterize | Roam Research | Feedly | Save Page WE | TheBrain v11.0.91.0

(Windows 10)
ruudhein
<double post for some reason>
Using: Evernote | Filterize | Roam Research | Feedly | Save Page WE | TheBrain v11.0.91.0

(Windows 10)
Dr_Bull
 Thank you for sharing. Yes, nice workflow! I too use Evernote with TheBrain. I see that Ruudhein also uses Dynalist and Filterize. I do too. I find that Evernote and Dynalist work well with TheBrain. On the Desktop version of TheBrain I can even manipulate Dynalist via the embedded browser. I like that I can easily share content with my students and colleagues from all three apps and that Evernote and Dynalist public links shared in a public brain are readily accessible. I also agree about 'future proofing' your notes although I have not quite settled on the right way to structure the material in Evernote versus Dynalist versus TheBrain. I am hopeful that the upcoming version of Evernote will bring parity with the desktop and ios apps (e.g. Table of contents function) and that more of the desktop functionality of TheBrain will find its way over to the ios app. In addition to the ability to play well together I think that Evernote, Dynalist, and TheBrain have complimentary strengths. TheBrain readily handles transcluded nodes (or at least I think that is the term). For example, I can easily make the thought ‘interest rate parity’ with an extensive note and it is no problem whatsoever connecting it to other thoughts within TheBrain including ancestors or descendants of that very thought. Dynalist does not allow for this behavior. If I have an entry in a Dynalist outline I can link it elsewhere but if I want the very same text associated with that entry to show up elsewhere I will have to copy it over. I try to avoid making multiple copies since if I need to update this material I will invariably end up updating one of the copies but not all of the others. Evernote with its extensive tagging can be set up in a way that the same note can 'reside' in multiple places/ hierarchies but I still wish Evernote had a few more notebooks deep of organization and had explicit note ‘cloning’. I have a hard time “seeing” and grasping all of my information in Evernote (Filterize helps). To aid with this aspect, I have also started using the app Keep It in conjunction with Evernote because I can easily share an Evernote note as a webarchive in Keep It and Keep It has 'bundles' which allow you to put the very same file in many different project hierarchies. And Keep It works well on ios (DEVONthink can also play this role with its excellent implementation of replicants.). Dynalist is amazing for its ability to very rapidly link to any text from anywhere within your Dynalist note repository. Those Dynalist notes are easily viewed and manipulated in TheBrain because of the embedded browser. TheBrain provides the web that connects all of these disparate pieces together. With its amazing scalability and organizational features I can now actually see how all that information hangs together. If some of the search issues I have had get sorted out with the latest desktop version I feel that I could really replace the finder.

I too am curious how others use TheBrain and Evernote. I am on the verge of moving to the paid version of Filterize. I use Filterize generated Evernote table of contents notes that can then be viewed via TheBrain embedded browser. This provides yet another way to view relevant information within TheBrain.

Thanks for posting!
ruudhein
Quote:
I also agree about 'future proofing' your notes although I have not quite settled on the right way to structure the material in Evernote versus Dynalist versus TheBrain

My own way of working is that different apps hold different types of information. In my case Evernote hold more "personal" information; Dynalist holds recipes, how to's, some notes; Keep holds some lists and info about people I meet; Instapaper is my web archive.

Things simply get added in 2 places, but at my discretion.

I may make a note in Evernote that TheBrain 11 came out with markdown support but it's not sufficiently important I would also add it to TB. On the other hand I recently had a death in the family, which I wrote about in Evernote, and that I did add to TheBrain, to my "2019 timeline" thought.

I love TB's way of seeing, associating, and browsing information, so most of the time when I learn how to do X or Y, or research something, it goes into TB. I'll "copy thought with notes" and paste it into the relevant Dynalist document. Not just for future proofing but sometimes for whatever reason I "get" to the information faster there.
Example here: I needed to add subtitles to a video shot in portrait mode, but needed the video to fill the width of the screen, so that the subtitles would go outside the boundaries of the portrait video. I found out how to do that. Went into TB associated with "Video, How To" but also linked to "Software, Video, Handbrake" and "Software, Video, Windows Photos & Video App". I copied the thought (with notes) and pasted it at a single point in Dynalist, in the "How To" document under the bullet "VIDEO"

Quote:
If I have an entry in a Dynalist outline I can link it elsewhere but if I want the very same text associated with that entry to show up elsewhere I will have to copy it over. I try to avoid making multiple copies since if I need to update this material I will invariably end up updating one of the copies but not all of the others

Exactly.

I'll sometimes put a [link] from one place to another. The [link] will take on the title of the Dynalist entry. The nasty thing is that these links break if you move the linked bullet to _another document_.

A similar thing is the case in Evernote where links are based on the unique ID's of notes. But if you ever would have data loss and need to restore from an ENEX, those links all break.

For this reason I use a keyboard shortcut (ctrl alt i) in AutoHotkey which generates a UUID, or, if in Evernote, will reuse the UUID from the original note. Same for Dynalist. By including a UUID I can always find back what I was linking to just by using search.

Example:

Finished reading "Searching for Sundays" (1) by Rachel Held Evans (2)

1: @BB506A78-E7AB-457F-A958-F49310F6CCC2
2: @7833C2E3-6458-4555-9978-F07BCE4BA411

#3A28C793-388F-4893-B75C-1651C2771F0C

If the links 1 & 2 break I can look at the footnote and use the UUID to find the linked source. The @ tells me it's a link _to_.

The # at the bottom of the note is the UUID of _this_ note. I only make/include one when linking back & forth.

While this doesn't fully solve the "how to show info in DL/EN in a relational way like TB does", it _does_ make the system future proof.

Quote:
I have a hard time “seeing” and grasping all of my information in Evernote

Years ago I used to use Evernote as a kind of filing cabinet of whatever I found but ran into this same problem. Been using Zim Wiki and some other things. Finally what has worked for me is a separation of systems. Instead of copying or clipping info on how to do something, I will write it down myself (in DL or TB). The original page is in Instapaper (backup to Dropbox; longer story). It has increased the value and effectiveness of my notes.
Both Dynalist and TheBrain are better suite for browsing, searching, and drilldown to information than Evernote. Evernote is my life log and it's _the_ perfect search engine for my life; the Google of my life. But you have to know what you were looking for; approaching it sideways, as one could with TB, simply isn't the case.

Quote:
I am on the verge of moving to the paid version of Filterize. I use Filterize generated Evernote table of contents notes that can then be viewed via TheBrain embedded browser.

I'm a paid user. Might be able to do it within free limits but this is _the_ product to support. Interestingly it replicates much of the functionality Evernote initially had. Evernote 1 and 2 had automated search filters you could use to tag and categorize.

THE main use, for me, is to have Filterize add date tags to every note. Date search in Evernote is a crime. I like to do searches like "today in the past" but you have to use convoluted saved searches to come even close. Using date tags, which Filterize has put and puts on _every_ note for me now, is as easy as "tag😮ctober tag:05" to see today in the past.

(Windows 10)
joshsullivan
ruudhein wrote:

For this reason I use a keyboard shortcut (ctrl alt i) in AutoHotkey which generates a UUID

I've been looking for something like this to keep track of notes I use in InfoQube and link to in TheBrain. Would you mind sharing your AHK that generates a UUID?

Does this AHK keep a record of used UUIDs so that it doesn't assign one twice?

Thanks!
TheBrain 11 Alpha Channel
Windows 10 2004 Enterprise
ruudhein
It doesn't keep track of used UUID's as far as I know, but I've never hit a duplicate.

This is the version I use:

^!i::
        TypeLib := ComObjCreate("Scriptlet.TypeLib")
        NewGUID := TypeLib.Guid

; remove { and }
        ; StringTrimLeft, OutputVar, String
        StringTrimLeft, NewGUID, NewGUID, 1
        StringTrimRight, NewGUID, NewGUID, 3

SendInput %NewGUID%
    return

In my case I use a "to clipboard" function with it too but thought this was cleaner to share.

If I'm in Dynalist using CTRL ALT I will paste the ID part of a Dynalist link (the part after the = in the URL) instead.
In Evernote it reuses the ID part of its sharing link.
Both of those modifications aren't posted here; this is just the GUID generator itself.

(Windows 10)
obrugman
thanks all for your sharing, great info!
Tools: The Brain | Evernote | DayOne | Ayoa | iMindMap | Omnigraffle | OmniOutliner | Ulysses | Scrivener |
GaryW
FYI, Evernote currently has a sale on expiring 2020 Jan 31. The Premium service is being offered at 40% off. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001861647-Limited-Time-40-Off-Evernote-Premium-Offer

Gary

Life is what happens when we are busy making other plans.

2019 Mac 3.1GHz i5 16GB RAM: Catalina v10.15.5, Safari v13.1, Chrome 83.0.4103.97; 2018 iPad Pro: iOS v13.5.1

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software