Spacenexus
Hi all, I'd like some advice on using TB in a network.

I'm sure it's quite possible to open a brain on a network where the files are on another computer and the TB7 application is on the local client.

If I were to use Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/) to simulate a local network via VPN, effectively I should be able to access my remote brain file across the web with my local client. Naturally there would be lags involved but can anyone flag any fundamental flaws with this configuration?

Apprecaite any thoughts before i go and experiment with it.

Thanks

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Testing 11.0.60.0

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since 1997
mcaton
Jim,

I've never used Hamachi specifically, but I have run Brains (application installed locally) that were stored on a separate computer that I had to VPN into.  You're right, there will be some lag time, but if set up properly, everything should work.  Please let us know how it goes for you.

Thanks,
Matt
Spacenexus

Matt

Another question: if the connection breaks, or in network terms the client with TB program disconnects from the server where TB files are hosted, does that unduly corrupt the database? I’m pretty certain Hamachi works robustly as I have a high trust for LogMein products.

So really my question is, if I’m on a LAN using TB8 and I pull out the Ethernet cable or disconnect wireless whilst TB program on one computer is access the data on another, how dangerous is that? Does the continuous backup take care of all that?

Thanks for the advice

Jim

@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997
Spacenexus
If anyone with experience of using TB on a LAN can shed some light on the above that would be great.

Happy holidays

Jim
@200229:
TB8022 32bit

Testing 11.0.60.0

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since 1997

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software