KLDalton
Started a clean version 11 brain and created two different jump thoughts tied back to a version 8 brain. On the next step of double-clicking on the thought the mouse icon changes to show that the brain is processing the request but nothing happens. 

Best Regards,
Kerry L. Dalton
Best Regards,
Kerry L. Dalton
metta
@KLDalton ~

Someone from TheBrain team will have to weigh in on this to give you a definitive answer, but my understanding is that we can only link between brains created in TB9, 10 or 11.

Since TB8 was created on a completely different platform (with different architecture, link configurations, etc.), I don't think there's any way for TB8 & TB11 to "talk" to each other.
mcaton
Kerry,

Did you "Copy Local Thought URL" on a thought in v8?  If I understand your process, I would actually think that the link to a v8 thought might work (although I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to migrate that Brain into v11 ðŸ˜œ ) Clicking on the link in TheBrain would launch v8 and take you to the correct thought.

V8 Local Thought URLs should look something like this: brain://6B2FC5D7-E7E6-C5FB-E7D1-74D46CA00316/B6AF3881-15E2-986D-F260-2B4FC8C006A1/v8Thought

v11 URLs should look something like this: brain:// api.thebrain.com/Ohm1bexD6EePnQ9K4RjHLj/SqiP0ucn6UuF3tMPEbNbNQ/v11BrainThought

Thanks,
Matt
metta
@mcaton ~ No joy here using the local thought URL from TB8 as a link attachment in TB11

@KLDalton ~ Have you had any luck getting these brain links to work?

Would be life changing, if it could be done....since I could start a new megabrain in TB11 and link back to my existing megabrain in TB8 when/as needed....Hope we can figure this out!
mcaton
What does your v8 link look like?  Does it work if you hyperlink a word in MS Word?

Thanks,
Matt
metta
@mcaton ~

Here's the link for the home thought in my v8 megabrain:
> brain://251A66C4-65B9-AFD7-8440-0C1EC647E5C0/47EF4304-6A20-2BC9-FB0D-714A3297363F/MAIN

To be honest, I've tried on many occasions, but I've never been able to succeed in getting local links from TB8 to work anywhere from outside the brain, for example as desktop shortcuts or in written documents. (I use Atlantis instead of MS Word.)

On the other hand, the local links from TB11 work beautifully in both of these applications, i.e., as desktop shortcuts and links in documents. In fact, desktop shortcuts created from local links in TB11 will even open TB11 if it is closed.

Would love to be able to do the same thing with TB8, if there's a way?
mcaton
Metta,

Yes, the link looks good.  It's very telling that if a desktop shortcut or link from another app won't work with the link, than v11 can't open it either. Again, I'm unable to replicate on my end as these v8 links still open the correct application version and correct thought for me. I'll keep the ticket open, but because we can't replicate and it is a v8 (older version) issue... it may not be a top priority for testing. I'll keep you posted.

Matt
metta
@mcaton ~ Thanks for letting me know. I understand there are more pressing priorities right now....but any hints/tips for fixing this problem would be a huge help.

Since none of the tables in my notes in TB8 are going to import properly (and with full functionality) into TB11, it would help immensely to be able to keep my megabrain in v8 and then link into it from TB11.
KLDalton
mcaton wrote:
Kerry,

Did you "Copy Local Thought URL" on a thought in v8?  If I understand your process, I would actually think that the link to a v8 thought might work (although I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to migrate that Brain into v11 Ã°Å¸ËœÅ“ ) Clicking on the link in TheBrain would launch v8 and take you to the correct thought.

V8 Local Thought URLs should look something like this: brain://6B2FC5D7-E7E6-C5FB-E7D1-74D46CA00316/B6AF3881-15E2-986D-F260-2B4FC8C006A1/v8Thought

v11 URLs should look something like this: brain:// api.thebrain.com/Ohm1bexD6EePnQ9K4RjHLj/SqiP0ucn6UuF3tMPEbNbNQ/v11BrainThought

Thanks,
Matt

Example of URL is "brain://941B758B-EF17-3598-9BAB-94DF6ED33F48/92F06D38-D783-0F4A-6CF7-53B9480B060F/TheBrain_Knowlegebase"

v11 URL is not working as it gives me an error: Click image for larger version - Name: 2020-03-11_05-53-28.png, Views: 26, Size: 7.48 KB
Best Regards,
Kerry L. Dalton
KLDalton
metta wrote:
@mcaton ~ No joy here using the local thought URL from TB8 as a link attachment in TB11

@KLDalton ~ Have you had any luck getting these brain links to work?

Would be life changing, if it could be done....since I could start a new megabrain in TB11 and link back to my existing megabrain in TB8 when/as needed....Hope we can figure this out!

Windows shortcut using "brain://941B758B-EF17-3598-9BAB-94DF6ED33F48/92F06D38-D783-0F4A-6CF7-53B9480B060F/TheBrain_Knowlegebase" brings up v11 and v8. Is there a way to check the mapping reg entries? Since the starting reference is different the URL should be able to process it to the right version.
Best Regards,
Kerry L. Dalton
KLDalton
mcaton wrote:
What does your v8 link look like?  Does it work if you hyperlink a word in MS Word?

Thanks,
Matt

v8 link "brain://941B758B-EF17-3598-9BAB-94DF6ED33F48/92F06D38-D783-0F4A-6CF7-53B9480B060F/TheBrain_Knowlegebase" embedded in a winword document does not bring anything up.
Best Regards,
Kerry L. Dalton
mcaton
Thanks for reporting Kerry.  Again, since v8 is no longer supported, we won't be going back to do any testing to see if/why/how v8 Local URL links are working.  Sorry to say that they are still working fine in our local tests.  In the past, I recall having to go back and re-install v8 to get links working again.  But this was long... LONG ago when this was our default version and I was just trying to get my OS to recognize it as the default app for these types of links (over v6 for example)...  Not sure what that process would do for you now, but I thought it might be worth sharing.  

V8 is still available for download at https://www.thebrain.com/products/thebrain/oldversions if anyone feels like investigating further.

Thanks,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software